Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: A wee question  (Read 2279 times)

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Do what you enjoy; And enjoy what you do!!
A wee question
« on: June 25, 2011, 11:21:54 pm »
I have two cade lambs who are exactly the same age, though not siblings. I got them at a week old and they came to me well estsblished on the bottle.  They are now ten/eleven weeks old and have been off the milk for three weeks now and dive into the creep feed. One of the cade lambs has just stopped growing  :o whereas the other one is noticably much bigger. They were the same size all along, until weaning. These two are in the field with the rest of the flock. They all ( mothered and cade lambs) get creep feed, all munch on the grass happily, and have access to fresh water. I have set the creep gate so the very biggest  (one month older) lambs cant shove the smaller ones out of the creep feeding area.
The wee one is really starting to look like a runt compared to all the other lambs. ...i am almost tempted to put her back on the bottle to give her a boost....... She is well covered with flesh, is bright and energetic...just tiny.
.......is this a good idea?
Emma T

ps her mum is the same size as the other's mum and they share the same dad!
If you don't have a dream; how you gonna have a dream come true?

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
Re: A wee question
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 09:07:22 am »
is thhere anything that says it may be bullied.got worms? when was last worming?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 11:47:40 am »
Hi Emma.  It doesn't sound like a good idea to put her back on milk at nearly three months old, especially as she is well-covered with flesh, bright, eating well & active.

I assume there are no symptoms of worms or similar - she has a clean bum, etc.

Have they had any vaccinations?  (Covexin or Heptavac.)  Have they had a mineral drench?

Most likely she, being the smallest, is not getting as much creep as would be ideal.  Personally I wouldn't worry too much (but probably would give her minerals / vitamins and a vaccination) so long as she isn't ribby or becoming listless.  If you do think it's lack of cake, is there any way you could give her an extra feed on her own?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Do what you enjoy; And enjoy what you do!!
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 09:04:19 pm »
thanks guys....i have narrowed the creep gate so she is the only one to get through.  i now have eight other furious lambs who are feeling literally left out.....hey ho!
.....she is not wormy, or anything like that. Will let you know how we get on. To be honest i dont mind too much if she is a slow grower, cos she can go to market later in the year/winter. I have another ewe lamb who will need company whilst adult ewes are away to the tup.

funny old world eh?
Emma T
If you don't have a dream; how you gonna have a dream come true?

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS