Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bought a wheel!  (Read 7262 times)

Shnoowie

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Cornwall
    • Binty's Farm
Bought a wheel!
« on: June 25, 2011, 08:04:15 pm »
This morning OH and I left the house at 7.30am to drive 2 hours to Taunton to get my 'new' spinning wheel.  :D
I'll try to get this right...it is an Ashford with a single drive scotch tension.  Managed to get 4 bobbins, a lazy susan and 2 hand carders with it and am very pleased!  Total bargain! The picture attached is the picture from the ebay listing.
It has had a bit of a clean and will be 'wash and waxed' tomorrow with some proper wood soap and wax polish.  We've had a play with it this afternoon despite needing a drive band (currently green string) and a new con joint (formerly perished leather, now even more green string) it spins beautifully.  We've also managed to get the tension set properly...though apparently I pull a wide range of faces while trying to spin.  Haven't had to use this much coordination since I was learning to drive; it is definitely a practice-practice-practice hobby, and I'm very glad we've got a glut of fleece at the moment!
:D

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: Bought a wheel!
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 08:48:05 pm »
cool!  good luck with that!  :)   what are you going to make first?
Little Blue

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 09:25:24 am »
That is some wheel!.  My very clever friend made her own to begin with, out of a bicycle wheel.  Were those carding combs included? 

Shnoowie

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Cornwall
    • Binty's Farm
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 11:15:22 am »
Little blue; at the moment I'm still getting the hang of it, but I'm hoping to produce some sheep wool/yarn to sell locally and also some alpaca too.
Hillarysmum; the carders were included in the sale - they are huge!  I've been using dog slicker brushes to card my wool, but these card ten times the amount in a quarter of the time! :D

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 05:31:19 pm »
Shnoowie,
When you say the carders are huge roughly how big are they?.  I bought a secondhand wheel years ago and carders came with it but I had assumned they were all the same size.
If yours are much bigger than mine and you say they get the job done much quicker I might invest in a pair.
thanks
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 06:22:58 pm »
Well done Shnoowie - you'll soon get the hang of it  :).  You adjust the tension as your bobbin fills up, so if the yarn isn't being pulled away from you to wind on you tighten the tension knob just a fraction until you are happy with it.  When you start a new bobbin remember to loosen the tension again so it's not pulling too hard so you get underspun yarn whipped out of your hand.
For polishing, I use 3 coats of Danish Oil which gives an excellent finish.
It's a Lazy Kate  :D (saves a slavey standing there to hold the balls while you ply) A lazy Susan stands on the table and lets you select your cakes easily   ;D - you could have one of those too to keep you fed while you spin  :yum:

Happy spinning  :) :)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 12:50:16 am by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Shnoowie

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Cornwall
    • Binty's Farm
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 10:45:35 pm »
Hehe, oh dear, I think I have a lazy susan and a lazy kate...OH has said 'they're both girls names' - close enough!
The carders are around 8" x 6" - they look like the Ashford large carders but don't have any branding and are quite old.  Their spikey bits (so technical!) are quite stiff too - not at all flimsy!
I have spun about 1/3 of a bobbin and am slowly getting used to the tension, I can almost treadle without thinking too...almost! Now waiting for my next piece of fleece to dry ready for carding tomorrow evening :D

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 07:40:25 am »
My friend (again) made her own carders as they were too expensive for her budget.  I know she spent forever drilling holes for huge nails and it took a few atempts but finally they worked for a cost of about 8 euros.  She is very resourceful.  I would hav given in , broken the budget and bought the carders.

She now has a large loom and last week made a lovely scarf using fleece from one of our ex sheep. 

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2011, 10:25:19 am »
Hi Shnoowie - how's the spinning coming on?

Shnoowie

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Cornwall
    • Binty's Farm
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2011, 05:09:19 pm »
Its going well :)  Not had as much time as I would have liked in the past few days, however I have tried my first bit of double ply and knitted with it.  The final result looks a bit like a fisherman's jumper!  I've had another small spinning session this afternoon and my single ply spinning is becoming a lot more consistent.
I love this!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2011, 01:09:21 am »
That's great  :)        I spotted a lovely fleece to spin so was standing by when the ewe was shorn - skirted, picked, washed, carded and tonight I hauled out my big Lendrum and have started spinning.  Freshly shorn fleece is so much nicer to spin than last years.  Have you tried taking your wheel outside into the sunshine to spin?  It softens the lanolin, even when you have washed it, and the spinning seems to go much more smoothly - no good if it's windy though  ;D

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2011, 11:50:24 am »
How exciting, getting your own wheel - sounds like you're getting on pretty well Shnoowie  :)

Oh, I'm inspired now to go and spin outside. I must just clear up after (finally) planting out all the flower seedlings I'd started off and then I shall go out and spin and admire my work  ;D

Shnoowie

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Cornwall
    • Binty's Farm
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2011, 04:26:03 pm »
I've just finished a heap of paperwork, so I'm going to treat myself to an hours spinning before I have to go back to work. 
What do you do with the spun wool which 'isn't quite'?  I've got a bobbin of double ply which is a too lumpy for knitting, and two bobbins of single ply which are too lumpy to really double ply.  It would seem a shame to waste them!  Shock horror, I only have one bobbin left to fill! Better get crafting!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2011, 06:44:47 pm »
You could use them as 'reverse' lines on a jumper once you are spinning more evenly, so they stand out as textured effects.  My first jumper I did with Fibonacci stripes  - ie in the Fibonacci sequence of 0+1=1, 1+1=2, 1+2=3, 2+3=5, 3+5=8, 5+8=13, 8+13=21, etc so you do your contrast stripe every 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 8th, 13th, 21st and so on row.  It sounds complicated but just about keeps your brain alive when knitting alot  ;D and is a very pleasing spacing for any pattern - the rows keep getting further and further apart. The Fibonacci sequence is found in nature in things such as the way sunflower seeds grow, population explosions and so on.
Alternatively you could knit a beanie hat - that can be as lumpy bumpy as you want  8)

Shnoowie

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Cornwall
    • Binty's Farm
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2011, 11:45:40 pm »
I think a beanie hat may be slightly closer to my skill level!  Had a nice surprise while I was sat spinning; my 'little' (20 year old!) sister came home from work at an Alpaca farm with a feed bag full of black huacaya fleece!  Not the saddle, but all of the other bits; I carded some and it is so soft it is unbelievable.  I can't wait to try and spin with it!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS