Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Weaning choices  (Read 4139 times)

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
  • Hampshire, near Portsmouth
Weaning choices
« on: June 25, 2011, 10:46:18 am »
The logistical problems of owning only two gilts who farrowed 3 weeks apart are upon us.   Normally our pigs live in woodland, about 300 metres from our house, rested since last November, and ideally placed for separating mums from piglets for weaning.    For the farrowings they were moved to a small grass paddock, divided in two with an ark in each, next to the house where we can observe what is going on.   After nearly two months continuous use these small paddocks urgently need to be rested, especially the Tamworth family one with 10 piglets nearly 7 weeks old.   We pick the poo daily but cannot remove the urine and the stench is strong.    Mrs. T (Tamworth) seems to be having an increasingly unpleasant time accommodating 10 large, squabbling piglets for feeding, and all of them are eating nuts and veg very happily and seem ready to be weaned anytime.   We basically have three choices for weaning - does anyone have any views as to which would be best?
1.  Move Mrs. T on her own down to the woods and leave all 10 Tamworth weaners behind in the paddock.   The 6 we are selling will be going between 8 and 9 weeks old, and these dates cannot be changed.   This would leave just 4 weaners in the paddock, thus less pressure on it.  I am not keen on this option as our Tamworth sow is a lovely friendly sociable soul, and I think she would be incredibly lonely down there in the woods all on her own for over 3 weeks.
2.  Move Mrs. T plus the 4 weaners we are keeping down to the woods, leaving the 6 who will be sold in the paddock for 5 - 8 days to get used to not having any milk, or their mum around.    This would reduced the fighting for milk if there were only 4 piglets feeding from her, and would eliminate the social problem.   These 4 piglets would be returned to the paddock for proper weaning when Mrs. SB (Saddleback) is ready to take their place as woodland companion and wean her piglets, three weeks later.  The 4 Tamworth piglet/weaners would by now be 10 weeks old.  This is my preferred option, but I am wondering whether doing a partial weaning like this would cause Mrs. T any problems?   
3.  Leave Mrs. T plus all 10 piglets in the paddock for another 3 weeks waiting for Mrs. SB to catch up.   The 6 Tamworth weaners going for sale would disappear from under her nose (will she mind this?) and have no time off milk before they left.  Then when the Saddleback piglets are 7 - 8 weeks old, move both sows down to the woods  leaving all the weaners behind in the paddock until both their mums' milk has properly dried up after 2 weeks on their own.
Or - any other ideas?   Any advice would be much appreciated  -  Tamsaddle

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
Re: Weaning choices
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 11:06:38 am »
I like your preferred option no. 2.

10 7-week old weaners is quite a lot of pressure, and reducing this to 4 will a) relieve pressure on the sow, b) give her company in the woods, c) let you be happy that those you are selling are well weaned and d) reduce the smell.  All in all looks like a good plan to me.

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

littleacorn

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 11:35:36 am »
Yes definately B - good luck  :pig:

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 11:58:19 am »
Yup, I like option 2 too.
You'll find that the 4 left with Mrs T will probably self wean anyway (usually around 12 weeks) and having just the 4 left with her shouldn't put too much pressure on her. I've planted fragrenced plants round about some of my field boundaries to help with the 'smell' issue - particularly around my boars' pens (always worse when it's wet  ::)) but as soon as the pigs are moved to another area and the ground dries out it does go.
Hope that helps.
Photo's of mammy & piglets would be great  ;) ;D
Karen x

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 12:28:08 pm »
Many thanks for your replies - so relieved everyone agrees with option 2.   Have just discovered how to attach photos and will have a go now.  Tamsaddle

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 12:31:08 pm »
That wasn't much use - thought I was posting four.

HappyHippy

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011, 02:29:01 pm »
What great photo's (especially like the Tammies in the trug ;))
Looks like you've got some cracking wee pork chops there  :o ;D
Lovely marking on your SB's too - THANK YOU for making me smile today  :love: :pig: :love:
Karen  :wave:

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2011, 09:31:20 pm »
Beautiful pigs, Tamsaddle, wish I could have more!

HH, which plants did you put around the boundaries of your pens? I can't really think of anything scented enough to obscure the stench of ours on a certain day last summer - even though we, too, pick poo all the time. Luckily they're in a huge, overgrown field this year  ;)

:wave:

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2011, 09:43:57 pm »
Lovely  :pig:  pictures all look happy and content
Labradors leave foot prints on your heart as well as your clothes

HappyHippy

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2011, 11:07:59 pm »
Eve - Honeysuckle is good and I've also got some cuttings from Fleecewife of a tree called balm of gilead (Balsalm Poplar) which smells nice too. There is also a hedging plant called Escallonia which smells lovely after rain (unfortunately I can't get it to grow here  ??? think my ground is too wet  :-\)
HTH
Karen x

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2011, 11:50:04 am »
Thanks, Karen.
 :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS