Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Does a goat house need a floor?  (Read 11244 times)

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: Does a goat house need a floor?
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2011, 08:09:28 pm »
Goats just love to climb and they love having benches in their shed. They do use them and no straw is necessary.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2011, 08:11:52 pm »
Put a couple of half down the middle pallets in but they're not using them - sleeping beside them but not on - they're only about 6 inches off the ground - should they be higher? - might try putting a bit of straw on as my girls might be a bit soft around the edges ::)
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2011, 08:41:56 pm »
I mucked-out the goats today and took the opportunity to do something about the flooring.

Our goat house is 6ft square and I put a 3ft x 4ft pallet covered with plywood down as a sleeping stage, clovered with hay, and left the remaining floor area bare.

The girls prompty investigated and settled down for a nap while a short shower passed over.

Seal of approval, methinks.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2011, 05:23:35 pm »
hmm ... I didn't put ply on the top, its just the boards, maybe a flush surface is required - I'll see what lies in the wood shed....
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

katie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • worcs
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2011, 05:54:12 pm »
We have pallets covered in marine ply. The goats love them. On sunny days I stand them outside the house to let the sunlight clean them.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2011, 07:40:58 pm »
...you know what?  people in other countries must think were mental.. ::)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS