Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Listless hen  (Read 6091 times)

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
Listless hen
« on: June 24, 2011, 10:46:27 am »
one of my girls is poorly I think.  Not laid since Monday, her comb has flopped (but not changed colour) and she isn't eating.  She's aimlessly meandering about but doesn't seem interested in anything.  I have checked for mites - nothing.  All the others are tiptop.  Any ideas as to what I should do? She's only 8 months old.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Listless hen
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 11:36:59 am »
Is she drinking?  If not then she is getting ready to die.  If you have any chance of saving her you need to get soemthing nutritios inside her - honey, chicken spices, citricidal.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 12:20:10 pm »
Oh No!   :-[

I am off to try now.

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 05:02:55 pm »
Quick update - I was extremely concerned as she wasn't drinking, so sat with her this afternoon and coaxed her to drink (forcing her beak into a cup of water!) once that kicked in, I then took a handful of layers pellets and she started eating them from my hand.  She already looks a bit perkier, so I have left her until later when I will have some assistance to get some honey down her.  Thanks for the speedy advice!  Fingers crossed.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 07:14:24 pm »
Try to tempt her with porridge oats, boiling water poured over them, stir in the honey, add some cider vinegar or citricidal of you have any
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 12:42:03 am »
I'm not the expert, but if she's not feeding herself is it important to get some grit and/or hard feed (like wheat) into her so that she digests things properly?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011, 10:02:30 am »
I'm not the expert, but if she's not feeding herself is it important to get some grit and/or hard feed (like wheat) into her so that she digests things properly?
The main thing is to get her to eat.  Once she's doing that you can think about adding what she needs

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 01:36:08 pm »
Well - Beatrice seems to be making a bit of a comeback!  We took her away from the other hens and have been spoiling her rotten.  She seems to like the porridge mix, and is drinking water with a tonic in it.  Fingers crossed!

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 09:04:16 pm »
Maybe rethink what you are feeding them - some people just keep their hens on pellets and nothing else - that may work for some but I think any livestock would get bored with the same old thing.  Variety - try some black sunflower seeds (our hens tip their feeder to route around just for them amongst their usual grain) and a bit of boiled rice with hen spice on.  Victorians used to let their hens peck the bones from a roast meet joint - you're not supposed to do that these days but our hens dive in to our dog's bone when she's not there (we don't sell our eggs, just eat them ourselves before anyone gets on to me!).
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2011, 08:55:17 am »
RIP Beatrice  :'(

I am ridiculously upset over the death of my chicken this morning.  She fell off her perch when I opened the hen house door and I carefully lifted her out but she wouldn't move.  Tried to get her to eat and drink but she wasn't interested and held her until she died before I could put her out of her misery.  Very tearful.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2011, 09:31:30 am »
I am so sorry to hear that Beatrice died.  She was a lucky girl to have such a nice home and to be so cared for.

It's always hard, especially when they are so young and there seems to be no reason for it.  But that's chickens for you.  I once named one Arfer as at that time it seemed she had half a chance of living - I had lost 5 of my first 10.  She did great for 18 months and was a real pet - used to follow me about and would come and sit on my lap if I let her.  Then she just died for no apparent reason. 

Don't be embarrassed to be grieving for your girl.  If ever a death doesn't move you - then is the time to be worried.

{{{hugs}}}   Sally xx
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2011, 05:50:51 pm »
So sorry to hear that Green, sometimes these things just happen, when you have livestock there is always death and unfortunately we can only guess sometimes what is wrong with them.  Poor hen, its such a shame when we can't just ask them what's wrong.  Trust you have some more to help your wound, take care.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2011, 06:47:20 pm »
So sorry - but she must have had a really happy life with you - the best a hen could expect.  Grieve for her but don't beat yourself up about anything.  You did everything you could, and these things sometimes happen

All the best
Sue
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS