Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Finnishng times  (Read 7468 times)

Cobra

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Somerset
    • Millers Of Sedgemoor
    • Facebook
Re: Finnishng times
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2011, 02:41:23 pm »
I have to ask, have you any hair left after this ...? 
I have to admit I was expecting some as these were quite hairy. Slaughter house and butcher have done a fantastic job. the only sign of hair was slight at the end of teh shoulder joints which I guess would have been in the creases of the skin under teh front legs. Hair is burnt of at the slaughter house and high preasure hot steam is applied so its a very good process. Hope that helps.

Cobra

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Somerset
    • Millers Of Sedgemoor
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2011, 03:00:19 pm »
Hi Cobra,  I have six of mine going off tomorrow and they were of poor stock also they are 9months now, some boar some gilts GOS they are not massive though I always slaughter at 9months as there is no fat or taint and it keeps the killing costs down and the butchering, I put one of my SB gilts in once and the killing costs was a lot because she was so big, I also give them cows milk 3 times a week or more if you can, also Cider vinegar makes the meat takes superb. :pig:
Thats very reassuring and I'm glad yo mentioned it because I know how many people are concerned of taint. Don't get me wrong it happens, but its not just age its also sexually active resulting in higher hormone levels, and yet mine were fine. I had considered milk at one point, but we don't produce our own sadly and it illegal for me to bring it in and feed it, did you find The first time you did it the pigs turned pale almost white? ;D Years ago I fed milk to a pig and the bugger literally turned white  :D but wow did she grow and lovely result.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2011, 06:22:46 pm »
I have to ask, have you any hair left after this ...? 
I have to admit I was expecting some as these were quite hairy. Slaughter house and butcher have done a fantastic job. the only sign of hair was slight at the end of teh shoulder joints which I guess would have been in the creases of the skin under teh front legs. Hair is burnt of at the slaughter house and high preasure hot steam is applied so its a very good process. Hope that helps.
Cobra, I think she meant you mate!
:D
Little Blue

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2011, 06:26:24 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cobra

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Somerset
    • Millers Of Sedgemoor
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2011, 06:46:52 pm »
OMG!  :dunce: :dunce: :dunce:  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I have lost my sanity  :D :D :D :D Oh no that was already in question. ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS