Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New Beginnings  (Read 6709 times)

Andrew

• Joined Dec 2007
New Beginnings
« on: January 14, 2008, 02:44:00 pm »
The money has finally changed hands today on our new land of approx four and a half acres. I guess all the hard work starts now.Nobody has worked this land for approx 30 years. The good news about that is that there are no chemical residues and the land qualifies as organic, the bad news is that walls and fences are either non existent or in a very poor state. I think we will need to employ a fencing contractor to at least make the perimeter secure and wondered if any one knows of someone reliable and not too expensive in our area which is in Stirlingshire approx 12 miles from Glasgow.It would be interesting to hear what price people pay elsewhere for fencing.

Looking forward to seeing everyone on Wednesday at Stirling. Shall bring some biscuits. :)

Andrew

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: New Beginnings
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 02:48:46 pm »
Just wanted to congratulate you and to wish you all the very best for your new enterprise. 

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 05:31:55 pm »
Congratulations from us too. We offer any assitance short of actual help!!

Rosemary

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 06:31:12 pm »
hehe well done keep us updated to how you get on plus allthe mistakes ;) ;D :D

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 08:31:31 am »
How exciting Andrew! A blank cavass and lots of new plans to make. What do you intend to do now you have achieved what I assume is your dream?

A very warm welcome and looking forward to reading all of your goings on.

Kate
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

Andrew

• Joined Dec 2007
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 09:58:00 am »
Thanks for all your kind words and thoughts.A blank canvas is a very good description for our land which is called "Braehead". Our plans are many and varied at the moment it is a case of ensuring we do not attempt to achieve everything at the one time. Our first priority is to put up fences and gates. We will also create a veg patch, by then we should have our holding number and the livestock shall arrive. I was in the meat industry for a number of years and was trained as a livestock buyer so it will be mostly meat breeds but not modern hybrids as the whole ethos of what we are doing is to return to slower maturing and more rewarding livestock both when they are alive and also the meat they will produce.We will introduce pigs and poultry first to be followed by sheep and eventually a couple of beef cattle.

I seem to have spent so long reading John Seymour's and Katie Thear's books and have been to courses at River Cottage that to actually get started and create what for so long has only existed in my head is so exciting. I shall keep you all posted.

Andrew

Micki

• Joined Jan 2008
  • North Notts
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 11:13:17 am »
Good luck with the plans. It must be a very exciting time for you.

robert693

• Joined Dec 2007
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 03:15:48 pm »
Good Luck! The pigs that you will introduce will help clear the land and make it easier to turn the soil when the time comes.

Robert

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS