Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New to sheep and need some advice please?  (Read 10978 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: New to sheep and need some advice please?
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2011, 12:32:41 am »
Don't buy from some local farmer just because he has some sheep he wants to get rid of.

Helloooooo!  Farmers in the room!  Offence taken!   :D

I would not have argued with, "Take care buying from local farmers - he/she may have some sheep they want rid of."

Some farmers (here's one, and BH another - and several more on this forum, I know) would not take advantage of newbies but would be extra extra careful to make sure the newbies get stock they can handle and know to shout when they need some help.  :saint:   ;)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 12:39:11 am by SallyintNorth »
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

blades

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Huntly
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2011, 06:21:06 am »
On the whole I have to agree... certainly my local farmers have been extremely helpful and have offered great support with me being a newbie!
Metal Detectorist

lindy

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2011, 07:50:21 am »
Don't buy from some local farmer just because he has some sheep he wants to get rid of.

Helloooooo!  Farmers in the room!  Offence taken!   :D

I would not have argued with, "Take care buying from local farmers - he/she may have some sheep they want rid of."

Some farmers (here's one, and BH another - and several more on this forum, I know) would not take advantage of newbies but would be extra extra careful to make sure the newbies get stock they can handle and know to shout when they need some help.  :saint:   ;)
Hello Sally, that was not meant as a dig at farmers, more a cautionary note to not get carried away and buy the first sheep you hear about simply  because they are close by and convenient to get hold of.
Far better to be patient, travel a bit further, even pay a bit more to get the right sheep as you will enjoy the sheep a lot more if you do.
Shall we say do not buy from any local flock keeper simply because they have some sheep they want to get rid of!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2011, 11:32:40 am »
Shall we say do not buy from any local flock keeper simply because they have some sheep they want to get rid of!

Now that I agree with !   :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fronhaul

• Joined Jun 2011
    • Fronhaul Farm
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2011, 11:49:17 am »
I would be a little cautious of Balwens for a first sheep.  A friend of mine who has Balwens, Badger Face and Black Welsh Mountain feels that the Balwens are perhaps the most delicate of the sheep he breeds.  Most sheep will follow a bucket quite happily with a little practice so a dog really isn't necessary unless or indeed desirable unless you have enough work for him.  A bored collie can be a pestilential nuisance and far more work than the sheep.  We have Black Welsh Mountain, Jacobs and Shetlands here and some will do anything for a biscuit or a scratch behind the ears while others are more flighty.  Sitting in the field with a book and a bowl of feed works wonders in getting them tame and also gives time for a break.   I would buy a breed that pleases your eye first and foremost, preferably something primitive or improved rather than a modern breed because they do tend to be more hardy.  If you want to breed lambs to keep then you might want to think about how difficult it will be to register them.  The rules for Balwens are very strict and quite complicated because the markings have to be just right.  In your position I would be tempted to go to one or two of the agricultural shows in your area and talk to the owners of any sheep that take your fancy.  Most will be very helpful and don't be put off if the ones you like best are covered in rosettes.  There are few breeders who won't have some lambs that haven't made the grade in showing terms but are still perfectly sound that they would not be prepared to sell for a reasonable price.  And few I would suggest who wouldn't be prepared to offer advice on an ongoing basis if it is needed. 

But be warned - sheep can be addictive!  - says the one who started with 6 Jacobs and now has over 70 sheep.

Good Luck. 

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2011, 12:01:46 pm »
I've got Suffolks - no horns to dig into your leg (or elsewhere) when they decide to be uncooperative!

http://www.suffolksheep.org/

:sheep:   :farmer:

melholly

• Joined Oct 2010
  • East Sussex
    • My Blog
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2011, 12:59:55 pm »
Hi there,

I'm new to sheep too. Made friends with local farmer who gave me 3 orphans in April. They are Beltex and very friendly indeed having been bottle fed. Then got 2 Polled Dorset Mums and their lambs - for a month you couldn't get near them but now they are all slaves for the sheep nuts!!  Mine are quite 'bullish' aswell as friendly - they all put up with my 3 year old and labrador! I think one of my orphans thinks it's a dog... Anyway, in my inexperienced opinion I've already learned that the routine is what makes them friendly / easy to catch etc.

Mine are just lawnmowers too (until next year!) We have just short of 5 acres and got laughed at by the farmer we bought our PD's from - 2 adults and 5 lambs we have to 'lawnmow' apparently it's '4 adult sheep an acre.' I have lots to learn.......!!!

Mx
http://selfridgestoscats.blogspot.com  **NOW UPDATED**
twitter - @southscouse

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2011, 08:56:31 pm »
We keep soay sheep and they have been a complete joy - we give a wee handful of feed every morning and it stops them jumping away off.  They self shear (done that beautifully) as its often difficult to find someone to shear just a few sheep, and all lamb births went without even the slightest hitch.  They look beautiful in a herd and are lovely and friendly.  Completely hardy (native sheep are and most self shear) they are a rare breed which is something you should consider (look on the RBST website).  They are not prone to foot problems or blow strike (bum fly and worms).  Easy peasy.  let us all know what you go for.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

waterhouse

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2011, 09:02:11 am »
We started with some commercial crosses from a local farmer and it was absolutely right for us.  You have to start somewhere and we learned a lot without agonising over stock selection. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS