Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: rabbits gone wild  (Read 4661 times)

caroline

• Joined Jun 2011
rabbits gone wild
« on: June 21, 2011, 05:08:41 pm »
Hi, we have a very young male and slightly older female and had hoped for a litter - only she won't nest in the hutch.  we just stopped shutting her in (she kept tunnelling) and left her to roam the run (about 100 sq feet).  I think she has nested under ground and is sealing of the 'stop' so I guess there are live kittens down there.  just wondered if anyone had any advice how to get the young, when they emerge, used to being handled?  do we remove from mother at 6 wks or just put all plus mother in hutch?  she hates the hutch.  or is it a lost cause?  also, anyone in Ayshire looking for a young rabbit of mixed origin?
caroline

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
Re: rabbits gone wild
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 07:52:08 pm »
If the run is secure then nesting underground is OK, so long as she is safe, perhaps you could i identify where she has nested and construct some from of surface "run" over the top but make sure that within the smaller run you provide high protein food and the obvious water. I would let the young emerge by themselves rather than rushing in there as rabbits are very sensitive to disruption and take very irrational acctions such as eating the young.

As soon as the babies appear on the surface you need to remove them from mum as by this point they should be all but weaned, more importantly you need to get them sexed and separate again males from females.

Once you have the young separated do not put them i with mum until they are larger - keep them indoors or confined to a hutch, rather than adlib feeding have two/three times when you put food in - this gets them into a routine and used to your presence - don't rush to handle them as with all Young animals let them approach their own time - don't wear perfumes or feed straight after washing your hands with soap allow them to smell "you" first.

Hopefully this helps a little bit

caroline

• Joined Jun 2011
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 11:52:10 pm »
thank you so much, the most helpful information I've had to date.  I have chicken wire I can put round the burrow, and leave a hutch within the reduced area.  will take some fine timing to get the young separated.  the male is off for an op as we only wanted the one litter but as they've all been running wild, I think she's probably got impregnated again.  we just thought the male was too young - clearly not!  learning as one goes along has its hazards... but thank you very much

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 11:53:05 pm »
That is very good advice, Cameron :)

Rabbits are strange creatures, and like Cameron says, they will eat their young if something upsets them, so probably best leave them where they are, and wait until they come out themselves.

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 10:22:01 pm »
I ment also to add if you never see her suckling the kittens don't worry as the young only really feed twice a day for about 5 mins usually around dawn/dusk

caroline

• Joined Jun 2011
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 10:56:14 pm »
that's helpful to know, I've never caught her going into the burrow or leaving it but there is a lot of activity filling in the entrance (surprisingly skilful covering hole without it all collapsing) mostly she sits by it in the pouring rain! even though a hutch is no more than a couple of feet away! the male seems to stay well clear whilst the guinea pig still trundles up to doe for daily!  At least we've moved the chickens out!  very odd behaviour going on there, the doe kept chasing the hens trying to bury her nose in rear end as if delightful scent/sensation - who knows!  she also used the coop as a latrine which is why they got moved out in the end.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 06:31:37 pm »
you'll not see her, they go to feed at the dead of night!
ours did this, three babies raised to fluffy stage and brought above ground ... sadly they didnt live long after this - could have been the sight of us and four cats frightened them.

hope all ok with yours...
:)
Little Blue

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS