Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Which attachment best to mow a field of 2 acres?  (Read 29245 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Which attachment best to mow a field of 2 acres?
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2011, 12:59:52 am »
DH is versatile. The H is certainly husband. The D can be darling, dear, dratted, damned (maybe even detestable or doomed  :D) etc. depending on what he's been up to lately  ;)

Made me laugh  ;D

But, on behalf of all unmarried partners everywhere, the 'H' could also be 'Half' - as in Better Half, Other Half.  Though, now I come to think about it, not sure it could be Half in DH...  So, as you were!  ;D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2011, 06:06:41 pm »
A scythe?

It's the MOST lovely thing to do - peaceful, sustainable, rhythmic, effective.

I've just come in from topping our sheep paddock for thistles - having been detained because my whetstones disappeared for some strange reason - so had to wait a week while new ones came in the post.

So - couldn't wait to get back out there again.

The great thing about scytheing is that I can inspect the pasture as I am going through it - checking for any ragwort and seeing what's growing. Also - the mice and moles can get out of the way........

Ahhhhh
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2011, 08:46:14 pm »
Scythe?  2 acres?  Blimey, I admire your attitude!

i have just under two acres, and I have a tractor and at the moment a borrowed topper.  takes me about 2 hours to do the field.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2011, 10:08:59 am »
Yes - scything two acres is very possible and in fact, the grass that is cut dries better because it is less compacted in the rows.

Also - gives you a chance to ensure there is no toxic plants in the  grass as you are going along and gives small mammals, frogs and snakes a chance to escape.

http://www.youtube.com/user/kaivido#p/a/u/2/gL2_chKPWjE

However, it's not something that I would plan to tackle on my own I agree....... especially since the weather windows are so narrow

We'll wait for the WWOOFers

:D :D :D
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2011, 02:33:44 pm »
For two acres? - get a ride on mower and stock-up with four tins of bud everytime you want to mow.

You can pickup ride-on mowers for next to nothing now and they are a good laugh to drive and cheap to keep - unless you have big big grass then I'd get a topper to mash it up for a few years first and get it level and respectable.

Baz

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2011, 12:15:22 am »
Here's the annual scythe vs brushcutter race 2010:

Scythe vs Brushcutter 1 - South West Annual Scythe Festival - June 2010
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Daisy

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Near Earlston Scottish Borders
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2011, 01:12:03 pm »
Wow that scythe must be razor sharp

MikeRoger

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2011, 04:48:12 am »
We have a field of about 2 acres that we need to cut about twice a year to avoid it degenerating into scrub. It is flat, but a bit bumpy, has had cattle on it in the past I think, and has a few shallow ruts. We only want to stop it degenerating, and not to create a lawn, and will not be making hay. The grass is about 12 - 15 ins high at the moment.
I am thinking of getting a 2 wheel tractor with implements to do it rather than a ride on mower or similar. (have calculated that it would take about 4 hrs).

I have had completely contradictory advice from suppliers.

Scythe mower .
Supplier one ; this is the fastest way to mow a large area, because of the width available.
Supplier two and others; this is the slowest, as you can only go in 1st gear
Flail mower.
Supplier one; once vegetation is under control, this is a slow method
Supplier two; this is the fastest way to cut grass, as you need full throttle to run the shaft and then can go in 3rd gear on grass
Rotary mower.
Does this cope with uneven ground very well? The maximum length of cut is 10cm, which seems a bit short to me, and this would be slicing through the tops of some of the tufts.
Brush mower
No-one seems able to explain how this differs from a rotary mower.

Any advice from those with experience of any of these implements would be welcome.

I use  ZTR to  mow about 12 acres on a riding mower. It takes about 5 hours including trimming. My riding mower is narrower than the finish mower but it is faster with the mower than the tractor. Looks better with the riding mower too.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2011, 06:56:34 am »
Wow that scythe must be razor sharp

Too right.  Apparently the scythe courses spend most of the time teaching you when and how to adjust and sharpen your scythe. 

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2011, 03:42:32 pm »
I wander round with my scythe most weekends it helps keep all the thistles and nettles under control and the horse and sheep seem to know that the next day it will be ready to tuck into.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2011, 10:32:44 am »
I have a little Kubota 1210 and a wessex rotary mower which is marvellous, it takes about two hours to do approx 2 acres and our land is undulating think thats the right word it goes up and down like the hills and valleys, think its due to some drainage work done donkeys years ago. We also use the Kubster for rotivating, shifting & lifting, fetching & carrying, spraying all sorts be lost without it!!
HTH
mandy  :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS