Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lamb with VERY runny nose  (Read 9367 times)

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
Lamb with VERY runny nose
« on: June 20, 2011, 12:44:36 pm »
Bit of help needed please!  One of my ewe lambs, a small 8 week old, very sturdy but the smaller of twins, has a very, very runny nose - so runny she looks as though she has a black nose instead of a pink one because all the dirt has stuck to it (yuk!!) I have brought her in, had a good look at her and she's not lost any condition, still nice and chunky, no maggots, chest seems OK although I have no stethoscope.  She's perhaps a touch under the weather as she's spending quite a lot of time lying down, although so are all the others as the weather is warm and sunny.  She's eating and walking about too.  Does she have a cold, or could it be something more serious?  She has been Heptavac'd although booster due next week so not sure whether its effective yet.  Thanks  :wave:

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Lamb with VERY runny nose
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 06:56:18 pm »
I to have lambs who's nostrils are almost blocked by dust encrusted mucus, seems to be poorer one of twins,seem to be happy . Weather is hot then wet and very cold my nose runs so why not the lambs ?? :wave: :wave:

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Lamb with VERY runny nose
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 08:02:48 pm »
Mechanical things like hayseeds, maggots and the like can cause noses to run. As can orf virus (blisters around the nose and mouth) and watery mouth (though as it sounds they drip at the mouth too and are poorly).

Don't know what else, as I've never had lambs have this. Don't think sheep get colds, ie upper respiratory viruses, like us, though I don't know why not. Mind you, neither do dogs.

I'm sure you shouldn't and no doubt I'll be told so, but if she were mine I'd give her a jag of penicillin.

And then if not less 'under the weather' soon talk to the vet.

And you're right, heptavac isn't really effective til a fortnight or so after the second jag.

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS