Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sow not eating - have I missed something  (Read 10161 times)

nelson

• Joined Jan 2011
    • lelogisfrance
Sow not eating - have I missed something
« on: June 19, 2011, 08:37:58 pm »
My sow farrowed last Friday 11 March - 11 piglets.

1st  was delivered within the normal signs then everything stopped for 2 hours so we gave her a shot of Oxytocin(advised by vet).   She then delivered 8 more making total of 9. 10 hours later two more appeared. Today they are all thriving and all of them went out to the paddock today.
The last two days Mum has been off her food (pignuts/farine). Going back to the paddock we thought would give her a boost. Not so -  we have been giving some veggies and eggs which she has been eating - but will not eat the commercial pig feed. Which she usually loves.  She has a slight temp of 39 and I have just been down to her paddock and she is feeling warm.
This sow would normally kill you for a carrot - so yes I am concerned although she is feeding her piglets to death!

It is Sunday and I could wait until I call the vet tomorrow or give her a shot of "Shotapen". This is her 3rd litter with us and she always eats her food with great gusto, so something is up....

There is no hardening of the udders and no discharge from the vulva.  Have I missed something?

nelson

• Joined Jan 2011
    • lelogisfrance
Re: Sow not eating - have I missed something
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 09:07:15 pm »
Just tucked her up with shotapen and she has moved into her arc with piglets - had a drink of water and said right I am going to sleep now - wait until the morning - pigs I wish they could speak :-X

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 09:57:43 pm »
I'm sorry I've no real advice .... just wanted to let you know that somebody is reading!  hope she perks up :)
Little Blue

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 12:42:14 am »
Same as little blue - I have all this to come and know nothing at all to help but wanted to say congratulations on the litter and I do hope she is better tomorrow - and/or the vet has something helpful. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

nelson

• Joined Jan 2011
    • lelogisfrance
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 07:59:07 am »
Thanks -  well I checked on her early this morning and she was sound asleep in the arc and clearly had fed the piglets.

Just come back from feeding pigs and she is still off the food but up and about. There is a discharge - it does not smell but all the same. Could there be afterbirth still left after this time? over 10 days now.
She had a couple of mouthfuls of the food. But turned away from it. This is day 3 now of not really eating and I guess my concern is that the milk might disappear?
She is grazing and also still eating apples and courgettes - I have just put some eggs on for her and my husband is going to nip down and get her some bananas. But will this be enough. Any other ideas on food would be appreciated.
I will consult the vet this morning.

robert waddell

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 08:53:33 am »
is there a stink from her rear end is the discharge smelly     only one way to do this
the eggs though beneficial should not be fed to pigs it is illegal and against the law      there are ways round about it
come back and tell us the vets diagnosis        :farmer:

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 08:58:25 am »
I'm not an expert on pigs but would say she may have a bit of an infection in her uterus (it happens with all mammals) A visit from the vet. may save money or heartache in the future.

nelson

• Joined Jan 2011
    • lelogisfrance
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 09:16:26 am »
We collected from the vet a shot of "enzaprost". Gave it to her yesterday and it did what it said on the box that was to give mild contractions. Nothing was expelled. The discharge seems to of stopped and was not smelly. Vet said to carry on with another dose of the "shotapen" that we gave her the night before. She is drinking well and feeding the troops but is still not eating her food - apart from the vegetables and munching grass. So she has appetite. Just hope there is enough goodness in what she is eating. By now I would be feeding her on at least 7kg a day and the last 4 days she has probably had about 2kg in all. Piglets look strong and healthy at the moment.

HappyHippy

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 10:46:07 am »
It sounds like you've got it all covered  ;)
Is she constipated by any chance ? and does she have LOTS of fresh water in the paddock, it's important for the piglets too - especially if the weather is warm.
Are her teats okay ? Mastitus could account for the raised temp - but I'm assuming 'shotapen' is antibiotics  ??? so will hopefully have ruled that out.
Hope she gets back to her old self soon
Karen x

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 11:16:29 am »
Nelson,

Think you are in France, where (as we are all one Europe with common rules!) you are I think allowed to feed eggs, in the UK this is illegal.

Shotapen I was not familiar with (not in the Noah compenium for the UK), but presume is basically a penicillan based treatment - when googled I gots lots of Spanish looking pack photos.

Enzaprost according the the manufacturers is used for :
1. Induction of parturition from day 111 of pregnancy.
2. Post partum use: reduction of the weaning to oestrus interval (WOI) and the weaning to fertile service interval (WFSI) in sows with puerperal problems such as metritis in herds with reproductive problems.

So presume this was to help clear her out.

Some sows do go off food after birth - a jab of B12 vitamin can kick start appetite again, - if she continues maybe suggest this to the vet.

Otherwise continue to feed anything that is legal for you that she will eat !
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

nelson

• Joined Jan 2011
    • lelogisfrance
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 05:33:34 pm »
Hi there

Thanks for the above and yes correct to all we are in France - Es is no better tonight - that said she took the bananas/eggs/carrots but left everything else and has laid down again and become lethargic - probably going to try the B12 - will have to be tomorrow as everything is closed now.  Will also introduce some very slack farine to the piglets just in case.  Oh dear just when you think you got things sorted....

nelson

• Joined Jan 2011
    • lelogisfrance
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2011, 08:53:43 am »
Hi Oaklandspig

Es is still struggling after another shot of antibiotic last night - vet is ill  ::)  but we have managed to get B12 - how long does it take to work? Thanks

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2011, 09:54:18 am »
If it's an infection, the antibiotics may take a couple of days to clear it. Is she drinking okay, and are the piglets still feeding regularly?

I can't remember how old you said the litter was, but guessing a week or two by now. Get them started on creep food asap and maybe try and get them lapping from a shallow dish - just in case the worst happens and you lose the sow. I really don't want to worry you, but this is what I would be doing if I wasn't sure how things were going to turn out with one of mine.

Fingers crossed that whatever is causing her to be under the weather clears soon, but put your plan B in place, just in case.

Good luck
Liz
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Barrett

• Joined Jun 2011
  • North Somerset
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2011, 12:29:28 pm »
Hi Nelson,  My sow recently farrowed I wish I had all the medications that you have, my sow well my Eldest son's sow called Mercedes she had 7 lovely piglets and seem to be doing fine though not eating very much bananas are a good idea though she only ate 1 she ate no pellets or fruit or veg for 2 days all she did was feed the piglets she did show signs of Mestit us so got the relevent meds from the vets but sadly she died on Saturday we think it was from a blood clot, a shot of B12 would have done her the world of good and maybe have saved her life. My son's and I are now rearing 6 piglets as we lost one this morning.  I have learned a lot from this experience however heat breaking it has been.

nelson

• Joined Jan 2011
    • lelogisfrance
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2011, 12:50:46 pm »
Hello Barrett

I am so sorry to hear about   :( Mercedes and your piglet.  You and your sons must be exhausted. I have found this forum really supportive. We are hoping the B12 will help get Esmae's appetite back. We have tried everything. I am fortunate that the piglets are 11 days old but I do not want to loose Esmae. She means the world to us.
Take care
Lorraine
x

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS