Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Deer in the Garden  (Read 5256 times)

xxmillyxx

• Joined Jan 2009
  • East Yorkshire
Deer in the Garden
« on: February 07, 2009, 01:04:22 pm »
As some may know I have just acquire a new home with 5 1/2 acres, now I realise I have inherited quite a few deer as well.  We have not moved in yet but we noticed that the garden is slowly being "dug over" don't know if that is the right word.  We have seen up to 6/7 deer in the quarry and on the field near the house over hte last few weeks up the other day we went up & about 3 deer were in the garden.
Don't get me wrong I know we are so lucky to have deer so near but do you think that they will keep out of my garden when I move in - I want to see them not live with them LOL.
They are rubbing the tree barks and rooting the grass - and I am quite wrroied about when I plant my fruit tree's.
Any Advice please ?
Milly

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Deer in the Garden
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 04:52:45 pm »
I think you are right to be worried. I don't have personal experience of deer but I know they are pretty destructive to young trees and growing plants. Think venison rather than Bambi!

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 06:05:41 pm »
Def think venison......they are very common, just secretive.............they will destroy your veg plot in minutes ::)
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 10:42:04 pm »
Get a licence and a gun! and a big freezer! ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 07:18:57 am »
scarecrow? other than that ive no eyed deer ;D ;D

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 01:13:10 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

xxmillyxx

• Joined Jan 2009
  • East Yorkshire
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 01:33:38 pm »
hubby says - is there a season for shooting deer ???!!!!!!!  :'( :'(

HappyHippy

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 03:23:58 pm »
Hi,
As far as I know in England, as long as you have a licence for your gun you can shoot deer at any time (but I'd double check)
Deers do destroy trees, even well established ones can be severly damaged by the bark being eaten off.
The only suggestion I can come up with is to put deer fencing around your orchard and/or garden to prevent them getting in (think of the stuff they use on deer farms or possibly builders panels) but this may not be practical. They may keep their distance once you move in - especially if you have dogs, but they may not !
I'd go with the gun & big freezer option myself - venison is lovely ! mmmmmm ;D
Karen

xxmillyxx

• Joined Jan 2009
  • East Yorkshire
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 04:12:12 pm »
Just been up to the farm - 7 deer in field next door to garden.  I'm sure they were just waiting for us to go LOL.

FLETCHER

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2009, 04:19:44 pm »
Hi,
There are seasons for deer and it is different for male and female,do you know what sort of deer they are ?
I should imagine they are Roe by the sound of it if so only the does are in season at the moment.
What part of the country are you in ?

xxmillyxx

• Joined Jan 2009
  • East Yorkshire
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2009, 04:23:22 pm »
Hi fletcher
I'm in East Yorkshire and I'm not sure what sort of deer they are.  I really like seeing them anyway its only the hubby thats getting excited hoping they become a nuisance because he's knows he cant shoot them otherwise - I wont let him.  I would much rather find a way of keeping them out of my garden
Milly

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2009, 04:38:57 pm »
We live close to an ex-deer farm - ex because they all escaped and occupied the surrounding countryside ! My mother who lives literally down the lane is an avid gardening nut. The way she deterred the deer from nibbling her plants and trees was by using human hair. She gets a bag full whenever she is at the hairdressers and ties up handfulls in old tights which she ties to trees around the garden.
Hasn't had any bother since.

Cheers

Gavin

xxmillyxx

• Joined Jan 2009
  • East Yorkshire
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2009, 04:46:35 pm »
wow thats a great idea - will be trying that one thanks  :D :D

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2009, 08:01:16 pm »
If you don't want to kill them, you could establish a feeder away from your paradise. They love conkers (didn't someone ask for uses for those?). But me personally, I would probably ask someone to prepare them for the freezer. So far I haven't been able to kill a thing larger than a moscito...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS