Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: grass cut  (Read 2260 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
grass cut
« on: June 19, 2011, 03:32:55 pm »
I've been putting the grass cut under the hedge this year as it is so far to walk up the garden with a full basket - age creeping in  ::)
could it be bad for the birds?  :chook: :&>

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: grass cut
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 04:00:27 pm »
It's not great for them if it's long as it can get wound round in their crops and cause them to become impacted - full of hard grass that they can't shift. If it's quite chopped then I don't think it should be a problem.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 04:20:24 pm »
They just seem to look for beasties in it, scratching about, don't think they eat the chopped grass. It's a rotary petrol mower, it gets it quite fiine. What about the later stages, when it starts to rot? :&>

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 04:43:01 pm »
I have always put one load from the cuttings in each run every time I cut the grass, as said they seem to love to scratch it about looking for buggies rather than eat it.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 04:48:49 pm »
Sounds to me that it's good for them then  :) I don't think the rotten stuff is a problem - my chooks scrat around happily in the compost heap, which by definition is full of rotting vegetation.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 05:42:56 pm »
Mine goes under the trees and bushes round the edge of the grass, some dries off some goes slimy - the birds love scratching about in it and it does them no harm.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

meebh

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 09:41:20 pm »
we empty our lawnmower basket in the runs and they absolutely love it. 

They start with all getting stuck in and having a good scart about looking for tasty bits.  They especially love the bits of clover but do love fresh cut grass from the lawn. 

I do it as I feel sorry that they have no grass left in their runs.

:wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS