Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advice needed - we have rats  (Read 10538 times)

cheekychick

• Joined Mar 2009
Re: Advice needed - we have rats
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2009, 01:22:20 pm »
Hi, rats need a place to hide as well as food, pick up the food at night and if possible put your hen house out in the middle of the area and get it up off the ground if possible and pick up as much as possible that they can hide under except for where you've put the poison. If you find their main rat hole in the ground stick a hosepipe down there especially at this time of the year because they will be breeding.

jackle23

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2009, 07:53:26 pm »
Get an air gun or some ferrets!

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2009, 11:47:50 am »
Last year we had an official from Fife Council Enviromental, appear at our door. The man said that neighbouring houses (a great distance away from us I have to say) had a rat problem and they had pointed the finger at us due to the fact of all our live stock. I was outraged but gave the guy a tour of my animals and the feeding sheds. As we are also a hotel we have a Pest Control company that looks after that side of things indoors. However, to shoe "due dilligence" we also pay this company to look after the pest control outside and so we have rodent boxes planted at various places and they are regualrly checked.

The crazy thing is we are beside the River Eden so ofcourse there are going to be rats. The official was delighted at the cleanliness of all the animals beds and the feeding sheds and went on to tell me that perhaps the neighbours with the problom wouldn't have a problem if they kept their gardens half as clean ad my place!!!

xnbacon

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2009, 01:35:59 pm »
Would the Jack Russel not go for chickens as well as rats?  Especially if chickens were free range?  Or is it a matter of training?  I kind of prefer the idea of 'natural' pest control rather than poison.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2009, 02:21:39 pm »
If the JR is a youngster when brought in, it will see the chickens as part of its 'pack' and is unlikely to try to catch them  Mine are different - had them before the hens and ducks and they are hunting dogs, so they would retrieve them if they got near them - and they did as per previous posting. As to training and breeding - mine are bred to be soft mouthed, not killers, and they are trained to bring back game - hence my ducks were safe albeit a trifle traumatised.  that didn't last long as they still sit at the gate while the dogs point them ::)  Stupid birds ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2009, 04:36:09 pm »
are any of your jack good with mice ? i think we have them again but got some electromagnetic and sonic emitores that did the trick last time but they stop working (how did i know this creepy crawles decidend to join us in the kitchen for meals, lol) but i do understand that the devices can have effects on other animals in the house and also need to be near a in power supply.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2009, 04:38:34 pm »
My dogs only retrieve - don't kill.  Could lend you a cat but would need to be kept in.  Best thing you can do is get one from cat protection league or that lady in Sauchie
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

fosse

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2009, 07:00:56 pm »
Please be very careful about poison as we have just lost a very special and loved cat who ate a poisoned mouse or rat and it took three dreadful days !!!!!!!!1

carole h

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2009, 09:11:56 pm »
We have 2 cats but I think the thing that works best for us is to put the ferret on her harness and take her around the area on a regular basis. The chickens are wary of her (and the cats and dog avoid her like the plague!) but don't seen to be put off - but the rats soon disappear.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS