Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: I went spinning  (Read 5802 times)

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
I went spinning
« on: June 18, 2011, 04:28:01 pm »
I went to the local(ish) branch of the Spinners, Weavers and Dyers Guild today. What a lovely, friendly group  :) I was really made to feel welcome and someone seeing me struggling, came over and adjusted the tension on my wheel and showed me to do my hands differently - and all of a sudden it wasn't a struggle, it works :) I have nearly filled two bobbins now, so then I can try plying  ;D

Shnoowie

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Cornwall
    • Binty's Farm
Re: I went spinning
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 05:47:50 pm »
Well done, Jaytkay!  Keep us posted!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 06:51:20 pm »
Well done - and your description is just what happens - suddenly it isn't a struggle any more  :) :)
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 12:17:40 pm »
Well I've plied the yarn this morning, the skein is balanced at least  :) The yarn itself is very uneven, don't know what I'm going to do with it - I'll have to make something  :)

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 02:37:50 pm »
Well done Jaykay - its so rewarding when it all comes together.....although I'm still struggling to get an even spin  ::)..... but its all good fun practicing.
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 02:57:51 pm »
Well I've plied the yarn this morning, the skein is balanced at least  :) The yarn itself is very uneven, don't know what I'm going to do with it - I'll have to make something  :)

Hi Jaykay - lumpy yarn absolutely doesn't matter  8)  It looks ethnic and homespun.  If you wanted perfectly even yarn you would have bought it in the yarn shop  :o

You should have enough for a beanie hat, which will be toastie warm for the winter, and once you knit it up most of the uneveness disappears and you just have a wonderful textured surface.

Is the yarn white?  You could try dyeing it - if you use the microwave method you are less likely to overfelt the yarn, and it's great fun.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 03:54:40 pm »
Thanks for the encouragement  ;D I think I need to get a bit more even, but yes, no point it looking like machine yarn (I have a way to go before this is a problem  :D). It is white, so I think I might dye it  :)

I'm now spinning a Shetland fleece I was given - straight from the fleece  :) That you can is a revelation to me, who hates carding. I keep having to stop and pick out bits of heather and straw  :D It's still got the grease in - DH wants me to make him a hat with it, so that the hat is quite waterproof, cos of the grease (lanolin). We'll see if the theory works out in practice  :D Apart from anything else it's interesting to spin cos it's all different shades of grey and black  :)

The yarn is quite 'hairy'. Is that why you card, to make it smoother?

shearling

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011, 09:49:20 pm »
So jealous. I have had to revert to plastering and painting and cutting wood!!!! I want to play with my spindle :'( :'( Honestly Fleecewife rubbing it up and down my leg  ;D ;D ;D It all I can do to keep if moving I run out of hands, and bodily bits to hold i1  ;D ;D Very well done jaykay -enjoy and it just shows you how wonderful some folk can be - compared with some some threads which make you want to scream at the unkindness

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2011, 11:30:01 pm »
If you dye it you will have to post a pic  ;D

The hairyness could be one of two things.  It could be because you are spinning either a coarse fleece or you are taking fibre from the britch end of the sheep OR it might be because it hasn't been carded, as you suggest - or both  :D  Have a look at the fleece and see if it seems to have a lot of hair in it.  A sort of midway stage between spinning direct from the fleece and having to card, is to comb or flick card just the tips of each lock, then open it out and roll it directly into a rolag.  Try that and see if it makes a difference to the hairyness - if it does then it implies the fleece needs to be carded.  It is lovely spinning directly from the fleece but I find I do tend to get a few snarls.  The colours of your fleece sound wonderful  :)

Thanks for the encouragement  ;D I think I need to get a bit more even, but yes, no point it looking like machine yarn (I have a way to go before this is a problem  :D). It is white, so I think I might dye it  :)

I'm now spinning a Shetland fleece I was given - straight from the fleece  :) That you can is a revelation to me, who hates carding. I keep having to stop and pick out bits of heather and straw  :D It's still got the grease in - DH wants me to make him a hat with it, so that the hat is quite waterproof, cos of the grease (lanolin). We'll see if the theory works out in practice  :D Apart from anything else it's interesting to spin cos it's all different shades of grey and black  :)

The yarn is quite 'hairy'. Is that why you card, to make it smoother?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2011, 11:37:24 pm »
So jealous. I have had to revert to plastering and painting and cutting wood!!!! I want to play with my spindle :'( :'( Honestly Fleecewife rubbing it up and down my leg  ;D ;D ;D It all I can do to keep if moving I run out of hands, and bodily bits to hold i1  ;D ;D Very well done jaykay -enjoy and it just shows you how wonderful some folk can be - compared with some some threads which make you want to scream at the unkindness

Just up your leg  ;D ;D then let it fly free.  It spins for longer  

You guys (by which I mean girls of course  ::) :D) are inspiring me to get on with spinning (and peg loom weaving) but there's always so much else to get in the way, so I know how you feel with plastering etc  :(  For me it's getting the last tender plants out then the pesky Highland Show, all 4 days of it.  Usually I spin there but the forecast is rain which just spoils the wheel.  I will take a spindle and some knitting this year I think.  And I am hoping to take Saturday off and sneak down to Woolfest in Cumbria  :)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 11:39:14 pm by Fleecewife »

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2011, 12:51:32 am »
I'm now spinning a Shetland fleece I was given - straight from the fleece  :) That you can is a revelation to me, who hates carding. I keep having to stop and pick out bits of heather and straw  :D It's still got the grease in - DH wants me to make him a hat with it, so that the hat is quite waterproof, cos of the grease (lanolin). We'll see if the theory works out in practice  :D

Don't forget to let us know if the theory does 'hold water'!  (Sorry, couldn't resist.  Really do want to know the outcome though - didn't just post for the pun, honest!  ;D)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2011, 05:19:21 am »
 :D

I know what you mean about jobs getting in the way of spinning  ;) I had to muck out the yard and cut sticks for the garden yesterday. Should have planted more out but it rained loads, so there was the excuse to spin but didn't clear away the last chick cage indoors and they've been outside over a week ;) definitely blame the spinning for that one.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 05:21:01 am by jaykay »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS