Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Health Care  (Read 2912 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Health Care
« on: June 18, 2011, 03:04:48 pm »
I have just spent a week looking after my mother in Lesmahagow. She has been very ill with a bad chest infection. I found out last Saturday evening and told my neice to get the doctor. As my husband was working away all weekend it was first thing Monday before I got the bus in Aberdeen to travel down. She was very poorley, I wondered why she had not been taken to hospital as she also had fluid on her lungs. Anyway with drugs and a bit of TLC she has improved but for my own piece of mind I got the doctor back in yesterday. More drugs as things are slow to clear at her age 80. I do wonder did the doctor come back when I asked because I work in a hospital and he thought I was either a doctor or nurse because up till that point they were not bothering to see how she was doing. As far as they knew she was on her own. I did not tell any lies when I phoned just said that I had to get back home as I was due to work at the hospital on Monday. Doctor appeared 10 mins later.

Sandy

Re: Health Care
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 04:32:55 pm »
Would like to think he would come any way but maybe your working in a hospital spured the Dr on..... Hope she gets better soon and enjoys this summer???

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 06:03:25 pm »
Hope she gets better soon  :bouquet: :wave:

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 09:11:58 pm »
I hope your Mum is better soon, wish I'd known you were in The 'Gow - you could have come and visited my menagerie  ;)
Lesmahagow doctors can be a bit of a nightmare tbh.
I remember last year, we were going past the Bank of Scotland (less than 100 yards from the GP's) when an old lady fell in the road. We stopped and my Mum (having delt with the doctors for many years when running her old folks home) nipped into the doctors to ask for a wheelchair for the lady or if a GP could come and have a look - "no the doctors can't leave the surgery, insurance, health & safety blah blah blah" was the reply from the receptionist. Needless to say by the time my Mum came back out she had a doctor and a wheelchair with her  ;) The receptionists down there seem to think they're more highly qualified to make decisions than the docs  ::) :-\

Sandy

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 10:12:38 pm »
I may have said this on here on a previous post, lost track but, a family friends dad went to the local Dr in the Midlands he went to the receptionist as he suspected he was quite ill and they told him he must take his turn in Que, other people in the Dr's said they were happy for him to be seen before them as he looked ill, the receptionist said no, rules are rules and before he got to his turn he had a massive hart attack and died then and there, at that time it made the press and things changed, that man never used to visit the Dr's at all and the poor family never got over it. I used that same Dr's and found the staff up themselves too and often broke confidences, I always imagined that they talked about their customers amongst themselves, I really hope it all changed for the better!! The receptionist in our practice are very nice and so are the staff, only one Dr is a bit "off". 

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 05:27:22 pm »
Gave mum a phone today and she is feeling better, sorry I forgot you stayed down that way Karen, I was rather stressed out to find my mother so ill that thoughts of just about everything else went out of my head. Next time when I am down which I hope to be around October I will get in touch. We are taking mum back to Shetland in September for a holiday so at the moment have no plans to be down before then unless mum takes a turn for the worse.

HappyHippy

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 06:33:20 pm »
If you ever want me to pop in and check on her Sabrina, it's no problem just pm me. I know how older folk can be at times  ::) They'd rather lie there with their leg falling off than bother anyone  ;)
Don't take this the wrong way......but I hope I don't see you til October !
Karen x

NorthEssexsmallholding

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011, 08:09:22 pm »
NHS is shocking at times, had similar experiences.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS