Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Spinning Wool  (Read 2369 times)

novicesmallholder

• Joined Oct 2009
  • Worcestershire
Spinning Wool
« on: June 18, 2011, 10:22:12 am »
Hi all,

In Worcestershire, just had our 5 Shropshire ewes sheared for the first time. A good lady has agreed to spin 1 fleece for us - can't do thye other 4 as not got time. Does anyone one know of any wool spinners in the Worcestershire/West Midlands/Shropshire area?

Thanks in advance

Mark

MelRice

• Joined Jun 2011
Re: Spinning Wool
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 12:01:36 pm »
You could always have a go yourself, Ive just bought some carding brushes so that I can get going....got to do something in those long winter evenings!
Or you could use the fleeces as insulation, its excellent.
Ive also heard that felt making is easy but havnt had a go at that yet!
Good luck

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 01:09:11 pm »
felting is so good and easy.

Why not get a pegloom and weave some rugs and blankets with unspun wool it looks and feels great, I am in the middle of mine as my OH makes pegloomshttp://www.folksy.com/shops/cutletcountrycraft. Weaving on a pegloom is very fast and satisfying try a medium size loom to start then you can also make bath mats, cushion covers, bags or whatever your imagination throws out.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 04:32:12 pm »
If you don't want to learn yet, look up your local Spinners, Weavers and Dyers Guild, they will be able to help you find someone.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS