Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: When to AI the Jersey?  (Read 11710 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: When to AI the Jersey?
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2011, 07:48:34 pm »
I have to take these bloomin' PRIDs out tomorrow - I'll be glad when that's done  ::)

monkeysox

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Colchester, Essex
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2011, 12:21:28 pm »
I have to take these bloomin' PRIDs out tomorrow - I'll be glad when that's done  ::)

Watch out for any "splash back" as you get to the end of the coiled part - not a pleasant experience and a mistake you will only make once, Trust me! ;)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2011, 01:55:16 pm »

Watch out for any "splash back" as you get to the end of the coiled part - not a pleasant experience and a mistake you will only make once, Trust me! ;)

Yes, the vet did mention that. Must remember to keep my mouth closed  ;D

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2011, 02:34:38 pm »

Yes, the vet did mention that. Must remember to keep my mouth closed  ;D

eeeeyyewww!  too much information!   ;D

How did it go?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2011, 08:03:58 pm »
Absolutely fine - they barely stopped eating  ;D

Roll on Wednesday now  :cow: :cow:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2011, 09:28:05 am »
AI man been yesterday and back today at 2pm. Homemade crush worked fine. Dave (AI man) said they were well in season, which is good. They were jumping each other yesterday and standing, so I was pretty sure they were. So after today, wait three weeks, if no sighn of heat, we'll have the vet check them in 5 weeks. The heifers were as good as gold yesterday, albeit a bit frisky. Must have been the hormones.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2011, 10:00:25 am »
Fingers crossed for you! 

BH has just set off to sweet-talk the neighbour with the good Galloway bull; if Hillie comes a-bullin' next Weds we'd like to take her to see 'a real man'!  One of our Angus cross heifers has just calved to this bull (naughty little floosy jumped the fence - just as well it was a Galloway next door and not a British Blue or something; she was only just two at calving) and it's a small but very nice little bull calf. 

We're ready to get a new bull of our own but BH is waiting on Hillie and the last of the heifers to be definitely in calf before bringing on a bigger beast.

And yes, they are certainly full of skittishness (or worse) when they are a-bulling!  Bless 'em!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS