Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advice on filling gappy hedge  (Read 12287 times)

Badger

• Joined May 2010
Advice on filling gappy hedge
« on: June 16, 2011, 10:05:44 pm »
Hello, I wonder if anybody could give advice on filling the gaps in a hawthorn hedge. There is plenty of cover from about 4ft off the ground upwards (the hedge is aprox 7ft high ). However from the ground up to the 4ft in height is pretty empty and see through.What could we grow in the hedge to give it cover down to the ground ?. We are trying to make it secure to keep our chickens within our boundaries.

Badger

Sandy

Re: Advice on filling gappy hedge
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 10:20:37 pm »
There is a lot of skill in proper hedge cutting, I know but cannot do it myself, our little hedge has a few holes. You could plant some in fill bits of hedge and that will help. Some one on here will have some good ideas but I suspect it needs cutting and layering to encourage new growth as well!!!!

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 10:45:27 pm »
Agree with Sandy - though you could try some hedging roses (nasty thorny little blighters) if you trim-off the top growth they bush-up nicely.  Willow will grow quite quickly too & can be encouraged to bush-out as well & is also flexible for laying.
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 11:09:00 pm »
It sounds ideal for laying, as long as the trunks are thick enough.  You can use a saw rather than a billhook to make the cuts in a more controlled way.  We did a 50' stretch of our hedge a couple of years ago (much to our neighbour's shock as he thought we were chopping it down)  That bit is now very bushy from the ground upwards but did look like a massacre for the first few months  ;D  Even then the hedge is not totally hen proof and a fox could push through, although it keeps the sheep in.  I can't think of anything you could plant there which totally stops hens - we have a stretch of the thorny roses and the hens spend hours scratching around in there, impervious to the prickles  ::)  It could be that you need to both lay the hedge and incorporate a chicken wire stretch within it.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 03:46:36 pm »
I agree with Fleecewife. Sounds like it needs to be be relaid. I personally wouldn't just rely on a hedge to keep the chickens in as most dogs/foxes will just push through a gap.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Badger

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 09:30:31 pm »
I quite like the idea of hedging roses, are these a special rose for hedging ?. Will willow be manageble in a hedge ?. What about ivy...would that be any use ?.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS