Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Home made cleaning tips!!!!!!  (Read 4773 times)

Sandy

Home made cleaning tips!!!!!!
« on: June 16, 2011, 10:01:18 pm »
On the same line as money saveing, tips for cleaning that don't cost...I have just spent a fortune cleaning my oven as there was more cake in the bottom than on mine!!!!!
I also used the salt, bicarb and lemmon for some brass and it has not worked at all, previously I have used brown sauce but I like that myself to eat!!!!!

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: Home made cleaning tips!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 11:36:46 pm »
To clean a microwave use a cup of water with a few drops of lemon juice. I put it on for 3-5 mins the steam loosens any stuck on food then just wipe away

Use ash on a damp cloth to clean the glass door of a wood burner
Labradors leave foot prints on your heart as well as your clothes

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 11:54:14 pm »
Use ash on a damp cloth to clean the glass door of a wood burner

Ash also works (possibly even better) on damp scrunched-up newspaper.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Sandy

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 10:25:56 am »
Now thats a good couple of tips, what about marble hearth, I scrub ours (when I do) with an abrasive like Jif and/or bleach but there must be a better way to clean soot of a white marble hearth, it is marble as well as its well over 200 years old!!!!!
Also, what can you put in the oven to help clean it?
Can I revive my nackered, muddy suede boots?

lill

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 07:02:14 pm »
my best tip for home cleaning  get someone else to do it ;D ;D

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 10:49:58 pm »
Sandy, have you tried sugar soap?  I believe it's good for real marble.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Sandy

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 11:15:53 pm »
Not tried sugar soap, may well get some, I did try some false teeth cleaning stuff that a guest left and that was good but expensive.

Cluckinggoodpoultry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2011, 04:55:53 pm »
Agree with Lill but unfortunately can't afford to pay someone to do my housework  :(

Brass cleaner - White vinegar and bicarbh mix to a paste, great stuff.
Half white vinegar and half water in a spray bottle for windows and mirrors

Sandy

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 09:43:05 am »
 :bouquet:

Bicarb is brilliant for loads of stuff, a wonder product...I sometimes have to use it on any spills/leaks in mattresses at our B&B, I mix in some nice talk and a tub of bicarb, leave until it all is dry again, hoover off and the wee wee/ liquid, disappears as dose the smell!!!!! Thankfully not a frequent problem!

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 09:56:32 am »
I mix in some nice talk and a tub of bicarb

So - what do you say?
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Sandy

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2011, 09:58:43 am »
 ;D ;D Bad spelling at the best of times but this morning my coffee has not reached my brain!!!! Talc ;)

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2011, 01:31:26 pm »
Eight extraordinary uses for bicarbonate of soda

Found this article on yahoo

1. Cleaning

First and foremost, bicarb is fantastic for clearning. Soak tea or coffee stained mugs with bicarb dissolved in water overnight and they’ll come out squeaky clean. A bicarb solution will remove scuff marks on laminate floors or skirting boards with a bit of gentle wiping. Add a little water to bicarb to make a paste and use this to polish your silver for a brilliant shine.

You can also dip half a potato in a bicarb solution and then use it to rub away rust on cutlery, or anything else metal.

2. Removing bad smells

An open tub of bicarb in your fridge will rid it of that gone-off food smell that seems to linger even though you’ve thrown out everything that’s past its sell-by date.

You can also get rid of garlic (or generally bad) breath by gargling with a teaspoon of bicarb dissolved in a glass of water.

Use a powder puff to dab some bicarb under your arms for an effective deodorant. It won’t make you smell of roses, but you won’t smell bad either. A small bag filled with bicarb and put in your wardrobe will also stop your clothes smelling musty.

3. Soothing skin

A bicarbonate of soda solution dabbed onto a minor burn until it has cooled will soothe it and help it heal. If you’ve been bitten by a mosquito or any other insect, a paste of bicarbonate of soda will help sooth the bite and dry it out so it heals quicker.

4. Freshen up

If you want to freshen up your whites a scoop of bicarb in your white wash will have them dazzling in no time. As well as invigorating your clothes, a bit of bicarb in the water for your cut flowers will help keep them perky for longer and boost alkaline loving potted plants.

[Relevant: How to banish clutter forever]

5. Make your own honeycomb

Less practical, but lots of fun, you can use bicarbonate of soda to make your own crunchies.

Heat gently two tablespoons of golden syrup in a saucepan with five tablespoons of granulated sugar. When the sugar has dissolved bring the mixture to the boil and leave until it turns golden brown. Whisk in the bicarb (this will make the mixture foam) and quickly pour onto an oiled baking sheet. Leave to cool and then break up for shards of yummy honeycomb.

6. Launch your own rocket

Pour 25mls of malt vinegar into a plastic bottle. Place a tissue over the neck of the bottle and push down slightly to make a well. Pour three teaspoons of bicarbonate into the tissue well and screw the bottle cap on loosely. Turn the bottle upside down and place on a flat surface very quickly. As the vinegar reacts with the bicarb the bottle will shoot into the air. Be careful though - make sure you stand well back! See how to do it here.

7. Tenderising meat

Fed up with bashing out your meat with a little hammer to get it tender? Instead, pour bicarb over it and then leave to work its magic in the fridge for 3-5 hours. Once you’re ready to cook, rinse off thoroughly and your meat will be beautifully tender.

8. Fire safety

In case your kitchen is short of a fire-safety blanket, when poured over a grease or oil fire, bicarbonate of soda can extinguish flames. Although it wouldn’t be safe to rely on this in an emergency

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS