Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: electric wire or tape to keep foxes out?  (Read 2822 times)

NorthEssexsmallholding

• Joined Dec 2010
electric wire or tape to keep foxes out?
« on: June 16, 2011, 09:58:13 pm »
sorry to bring this up again but I could do with some advice.

I've made my fence, which is 6ft high chicken wire dug a foot into the ground.  But I want to put some electric barrier around as well, I was thinking 1 strand around the bottom close to ground level one about nose height and then one around the top.

But which is better to use, electric strand wire or the tape?  Would either do the job or is one more suited than the other?

I noticed that molevalley has this on offer, is it suitable?

http://www.molevalleyfarmers.com/mvf/store/products/mvf-20mm-tape-200m0

thanks in advance.

NorthEssexsmallholding

• Joined Dec 2010
Re: electric wire or tape to keep foxes out?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 10:01:07 pm »
oh and one more thing, for 250 metres of wire what power battery and energizer would I need?  Can't run it off mains.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 10:20:39 pm »
The price on the tape isn't too bad - we pay £22.00 for a 400m roll, but can't remember where from at the mo.  We also use battery-powered energisers.  Think we discussed this on the Pig Forum a month or 2 ago - if you can search for it, I think the thread was started by HappyHippy.

Apparently bunches of male, human hair is supposed to be off-putting to foxes, as is male urine (not necessarily directly applied  ;) ) & male dog wee (probably better applied directly  :D )
HTH
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 11:45:28 pm »
sorry to bring this up again but I could do with some advice.

I've made my fence, which is 6ft high chicken wire dug a foot into the ground.  But I want to put some electric barrier around as well, I was thinking 1 strand around the bottom close to ground level one about nose height and then one around the top.

But which is better to use, electric strand wire or the tape?  Would either do the job or is one more suited than the other?

I noticed that molevalley has this on offer, is it suitable?

http://www.molevalleyfarmers.com/mvf/store/products/mvf-20mm-tape-200m0

thanks in advance.

Have a look on ebay prices are a bit cheaper ..clag in electric fence

Wrt what you use  what is cheapest and use wood sticks knocked in the ground with plastic insulators perhaps two strands some 100 mm off the ground and one 300 mm up.. you'll have to weed kill the ground to stop electrical shorts to earth through growing vegetation
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS