Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What Dog food do you recommend?  (Read 19407 times)

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: What Dog food do you recommend?
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2009, 08:33:13 pm »
I have one mongrel and a wiredhaired/shorthaired pointer cross and feed them Dr John Silver £7.50 for 15kg.  They thrive on it and have lovely shiny coats.  I also have a friend who feeds it to her Whippet who looks fantastic.  When I worked at an animal rescue centre we tended to feed cheap food like Chappie to underweight/starved dogs as it doesn't overload their systems.  I guess feeding just depends on your dog's constitution and work load.

kingnigel

• Joined May 2009
  • Gainsborough
  • www.zabalaz.co.uk
    • Zabalaz Siberian Huskies
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2009, 11:45:35 pm »
hi all
i have 12 siberian huskies, 3-14 years old, 4-9 years old and 5-2 years old, all have been fed on BARF most of their lives, our 3-14 year olds are now on arden grange plus a small amount of minced meat as recently they have started to struggle to digest raw.
all the rest are happy on barf.
i have to confess to having a sceptical view towards multi national companies telling me that the food they produce is best, if this food is so good surly a dried food would have been produced for human top athletes to make sure they get the best so that they can win everything. i also worry when they say no added preservatives then in the small print it says EC approved antioxidant, if you are proud of your product say what's in it as some of these antioxidants are known carcinogens.
ok rant over

would like to point out i have no problem with using dried food if it works for you thats fine, its when companies are economical with the truth that i dont like it.

kn

Troubled Waters

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2009, 10:45:46 pm »
Our two were on bakers for ages and seemed fine but the German Shep x collie is fussy as, the ginger stripy thing couldn't care less as long as he has plenty.  When we started to be more concerned about what we ate we thought it best to give them better food too.  We switched to Arden Grange lamb and rice (approx £25/15kg from the vet in the village)  they are now on AG senior (£35/kg) Both thriving. Coat so good, less poo and less smelly.  The ginger one used to chew his feet a lot and we thought it was just his particular brand of specialness but since being on AG this has lessened significantly, vet said may have been an allergy.

HTH. Helen :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS