Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: My poor new gander  (Read 7127 times)

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: My poor new gander
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2011, 08:25:54 pm »
Great pics Amanda, thank you  :)

He's looking much better already.....  :)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2011, 10:40:39 pm »
...sorry crick your neck for the bottom one... ::)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2011, 07:02:08 pm »
ok don't!  Thanks - a dog that can do tricks! ;D ;D ;D
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2011, 08:57:01 pm »
dog can do not dog an jo ;D ;D ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2011, 09:05:44 pm »
Gosling no.2 gone - out with mum, dad and aunty yesterday afternoon all quite happy in the orchard, left for 45 mins alone and hey presto no gosling.  We searched for four and a half hours (4 of us) but heard no cries of help and could see nothing, searched under everything, stopping occasionally to listen but nothing.  Geese seem bemused too and kept coming up to us as if we had it.  Can only assume a heron took it.  Lesson no.2 - make a smaller pen next year so a heron can't swoop down......and confiscate some of the eggs off the nest and incubate them as back ups.  The geese seem to have finished laying now so have to wait until next year....a learning curve for all of us, lets hope we don't forget it by next spring... :-[
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2011, 09:18:47 pm »
Oh Amanda, I'm so sorry  :-*

melholly

• Joined Oct 2010
  • East Sussex
    • My Blog
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2011, 10:41:12 pm »
Ah sorry to hear that. These learning curves sure are tough at times though arent they? It's the uncertainty too - if only we could catch, interrogate and interpret heron talk!!

Mx
http://selfridgestoscats.blogspot.com
http://selfridgestoscats.blogspot.com  **NOW UPDATED**
twitter - @southscouse

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2011, 11:34:21 am »
...and always that feeling of should have known better that goes with these things...oh well, thanks for words of comfort all.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2011, 02:44:01 pm »
oh, what a  shame.  Its upsetting when young birds disappear like this.  We have a lot of birds of prey here, on the lookout for chicks etc.  Some of mine went last year, and apart from the blooming tom cat, I think a giant bird feeding young helped herself.   Much as I would like to I refuse now to let chicks out until they appear enormous, and too big to carry off (hopefully)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS