Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Three 'In-Pig' Tamworths for sale  (Read 4645 times)

Pebbles

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Central Scotland
    • Ardunan Farm
    • Facebook
Three 'In-Pig' Tamworths for sale
« on: June 14, 2011, 09:02:17 pm »
It is with a great deal of thought and consideration that we are selling three Tamworths 'in-pig'. All three are 12 months old, sisters and due to farrow within 4-5 weeks. They have lovely affectionate natures and we would prefer that they are sold together.

Due to their advanced condition I will only be advertising them for sale for a few days. We are only selling them (and other Tamworths) as we are concentrating on our OSBs. Contact us on the numbers below if interested asap.

David 07960-199660 or Gillian 07729-347297

Photo taken this evening...

Pebbles

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Central Scotland
    • Ardunan Farm
    • Facebook
Re: Three 'In-Pig' Tamworths for sale
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 09:48:16 pm »
Sorry to those who have called, I should have said we're in Scotland just north of Glasgow. And don't worry about the time you can reach us from 7am - 11pm (we're at the farm until 10pm each night  :-\ Thanks

Dundonald hens

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 10:25:10 pm »
How long have those 3 lovely ladies been on that peace of land ?

yankieGirl

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Pennsylvania, USA
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 11:31:41 pm »
Dundonald hens:

Why do you ask about the land.  I too have 2 gilts on, about what looks to be, the same amount of land.  Is that bad?

I am new to this.

Pebbles

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Central Scotland
    • Ardunan Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 04:02:57 pm »
Hi

This photograph only shows the girls in a corner of their pen, you can't even see their ark which is in the centre of it - they have plenty of space.

All pig keepers are well aware that pigs can totally clear a patch of ground in gig time - the ladies have been demolishing this section for the last 5 months (they had a little of help from a few others at the start when they first moved on to it!  :))

This ad will be removed in a few days so if interested get in touch soon as I refuse to move pregnant pigs within 2 weeks of their expected farrowing.

Thank you to all those smallholders in England who have called and are sadly just that bit too far away!  ;)

:pig: :pig: :pig:

Dundonald hens

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 09:59:43 pm »
I had asked because i am trying to work out how long and how big an area i would need to ise for some pigs thats all

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 10:11:13 pm »
I had asked because i am trying to work out how long and how big an area i would need to ise for some pigs thats all

Depends on varying factors - condition/type of land, will you be raising weaners or keeping breeding stock.  Plus factor-in the cost of fencing, housing, feed, vets bills, worming, bio-control etc.
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

yankieGirl

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Pennsylvania, USA
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 11:05:38 pm »
Ok, I will lay it out for all to see how clueless I am.

My gilts have destroyed the pasture area they are in.  Now what?  Are they happy to just dig a hole to China?  What do I do now?

HappyHippy

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 07:51:56 am »
Ok, I will lay it out for all to see how clueless I am.

My gilts have destroyed the pasture area they are in.  Now what?  Are they happy to just dig a hole to China?  What do I do now?
I find that once they've destroyed the area, that's when they start to think about breaking out - more so if they're young and coming into season (I think they go looking for a boar  ;)) But if you've got good fencing it should be less of a problem, ideally I would move them to a fresh piece of land if you can YankieGirl - give them something else to concentrate on  ;)
Karen  :wave:

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 04:18:08 pm »
Agree with HH.  Would be a good opportunity to worm them too before you move them if it's been over 4 months since the last worming.

If you haven't got any extra land to put them on, maybe you could divide your pasture up into areas (not sure what breed you've got, but say 4-5 gilts per half acre paddocks) to give the land a chance to rest & move them round every 3-4 months.  You will probably find you'll need to up their feed intake if they've got no grazing & add some (undestructable) toys/logs/tyres to help keep them amused.

Oh the joys of pig-keeping  ;D
 :love: :pig: :love:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Pebbles

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Central Scotland
    • Ardunan Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2011, 02:43:21 pm »
Much as I've enjoyed reading all about the size of grazing areas - this 'offer' has now been withdrawn as the girls are starting to bag up and are only a couple of weeks away from farrowing.

Weaners will be ready at the beginning of September.

:wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS