Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: leeks nibbled by rabbits  (Read 4001 times)

NorthEssexsmallholding

• Joined Dec 2010
leeks nibbled by rabbits
« on: June 14, 2011, 09:01:15 pm »
the little blighters have been nibbling the leeks, but as its just the ends will they be ok?

they did it to a few onion leaves but now that they are much thicker they have stopped.

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
Re: leeks nibbled by rabbits
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 10:01:43 pm »
They should re grow , for a tip when planting out leeks is to cut the roots with scissors to  25 mm and trim the green to 150 mm long before dropping the plant in the hole..
 Perhaps get hold of some 100 mm foul water pipe etc and cut it in 400 mm lengths then slip one over each plant ..it saves earthing to blanch them as well .
Just make sure the pipe is pushed well into the soil
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

NorthEssexsmallholding

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 08:06:44 am »
i did cut the roots, i left the leaves but the rabbits have trimmed them now anyway.  I'm growing a few thousand so the pipe method would take too much time to do, but I might do it for some of them to make sure I have some good blanched ones.

Thanks for the tip.

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 01:35:45 pm »
bait for rabbits, seeing you are growing a few thousand of them, sounds like a commercial venture or market garden.

NorthEssexsmallholding

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 08:06:11 pm »
I'm overun with the damn things, until I rabbit proof the whole veg area then I just have to try to stop them any way I can.

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 11:47:53 am »
...rabbit pie...?  :bunny:

Do any of the old wives tales work e.g. leaving human hair/scent around? Borrow someone's dog to walk around and leave a predator's scent...?

NorthEssexsmallholding

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 11:20:31 pm »
I've got a dog but they just run and hide when hes there, but at dusk and dawn they are all out in my plot, my carrots are covered though.  I HATE RABBITS!

ruedeleglise

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 08:12:29 am »
I used to get a load of rabbits in our veg patch but that all changed when I bought an ultrasonic pest repeller which are readily available though various sites on the internet. Also we now have no visiting cats which is a blessing. The repeller truly works. I have seen a cats rabbits a hare and even a dog wander into range and when zapped make a swift exit! Where we are in France we also have wild boar not 500 metres away and believe you me you don't want one of those earth movers anywhere near your garden. Have not had a visitation yet!

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 06:39:22 pm »
I'm overun with the damn things, until I rabbit proof the whole veg area then I just have to try to stop them any way I can.

Google Australian rabbit traps ... some very workable ideas especially if you can sell clean killed ones to butchers . dealers or hotels .

The swing bin lid is one I have tried ..3 x 45 gallon barrels modified and sunken  to grass roots , then guide fences to direct them to the openings . Leave the traps locked for a few days til the rabbits get the habit of eating shaved carrot strips laid bait , then one afternoon unlock the traps and visit next morning with a big stick and a loop on a pole.
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS