Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ewe did a runner when applying flystrike gunk!  (Read 5900 times)

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
Ewe did a runner when applying flystrike gunk!
« on: June 14, 2011, 02:27:40 pm »
To cut a not very long story even shorter, one ewe did a runner (jumped over the hurdles) when they were all being given their flystrike gloop down their backs. Couldn't get her back with the others for love nor money (nor sheep nuts).

Didn't get madams exact eartag number but can pin her down to one of two  -  so:

Do we leave her untreated for two months until reapplication time? Or do we double dose one?

Nothing on the (Butox) label to cover this.

:sheep:  ???

PS: I've checked out the website, restricts access (!) to most of the site, but looks like we will have to wait 4 weeks - so that means the 2nd (already done) ewe will then be treated as per reapplication for ticks.

Anyone got any other remedy ideas I can apply to 'Madam Gazelle' in the meantime?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 03:15:09 pm by OhLaLa »

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Ewe did a runner when applying flystrike gunk!
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 05:29:54 pm »
Double-dose. The margins for error on medicines etc. are usually pretty high. Better than getting fly-strike  :P

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 05:57:59 pm »
I'd second that.

I'd also recommend a good old trusty marker after applying or giving anything - its not going to be the first or the last time something escapes from a pen during meds.

Baz

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 06:04:57 pm »
Alternatives include:
  • make absolutely sure that she is clean around the backend, feet and if horned, horns - and watch like a hawk for any of the classic signs of flystrike
  • as above but also treat only the most high-risk areas - around the tail and, if she's horned, around the horns
  • double-dose; as jaykay says, the safety margins will be high and you are unlikely to harm her - I'm not sure I'd want to eat her this year, though...  ;)

I can't remember where you are or what type of sheep you've got - but some folks in lower-risk areas don't treat clipped ewes at all, as fit adult sheep are unlikely to get strucken unless there is something else wrong making them under par.  (And by the sound of her, she's fit as a flea!)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 07:42:26 pm »
I'd also recommend a good old trusty marker after applying or giving anything - its not going to be the first or the last time something escapes from a pen during meds.

Definitely will from now on! To quote other half as we watched 'Madam' run off at speed into the distance "Bugg@r - should have marked them as we did them". Lesson learnt!

::)

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 08:54:16 pm »
That said its always going to be the time you dont marking bother when something escapes.

I done mine this afternoon without a marker - on a wing and a prayer!!   :)

Baz

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 08:56:12 pm »
Its always easier said than done.

At least you only had the one break out :) hope they are all ok and your sat in an armchair celebrating the end of another successful day.

Baz

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 09:30:21 pm »
yes its a bugger when something like that happens....I have a difrent problem..... I treated all mine with clik in sun on the saturday and it rained all day on the sunday, Im sure they got under the trees in the wooded part but hoping its not allbeen washed out? no way of telling is there?  >:( >:( ::) ::)
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 09:59:24 pm »
We sheared on Sunday morning, then did them with Crovect and it has rained ever since  ::) Oh who knows. You do what you can and keep a close eye out for those with wicks  :P

I felt so sorry for them by Sun night, I opened up the field barn so they could get out of the rain (when it rains here, it rains - about 3m a year  ::)) The ewes appreciated it and the lambs had a fine old time running around on the haystack  :D

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 10:18:21 pm »
wow 3m a year !!! you must be near Cumbria  ;D ;D ;D
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 06:24:22 am »
 ;D and right under a hill which brings it's own rain  ::) - we get twice as much as the village down the dale  :P

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2011, 09:53:22 am »
When you are dojng something like dosing or applying pour on, it is a good idea to use and old raddle crayon or stick marker to make a small mark on the face of each one as you you treat it. That way, if something gets out it is easy peasy to tell which ones have been done and which ones haven't.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2011, 10:12:02 am »
Suffolks (see avatar)!

But the stick/crayon is a good idea as can be kept in the pocket and saves reaching for the can and spraying it whilst holding a none to keen sheep. Thanks for the idea.

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2011, 04:03:21 pm »
You don't seem to mention what flystrike product you were using....

Yup I did - Butox:
...........Nothing on the (Butox) label to cover this..........

But thanks, appreciate your input and the info, I'm going to watch cautiously and wait for the (min) 4 week period to pass before reapplication.

:sheep:  :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS