Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: what price?  (Read 2958 times)

ea

• Joined May 2011
what price?
« on: June 13, 2011, 10:17:09 pm »
I have to return to work !!! very bad news, but my life of luxury may be coming to a close.  I am unsure what would be a fair price to ask for my GOS boar, he is 12 mnths old and has sired 3 litters.  May not be due to him, but  12, 11 and 12 piglets and only one loss! he is a reliable worker with a great temperament.  He feels like he should be worth alot, he is exactly what you would want in a boar.  any suggestions on price please.

I also have 2 pedigree suffolk ewes, one 3 years old with no problems lambing twins each time and one a shearling that could be put to tup this year. I have not much idea about the going rate for these two either. could any one advise please? 
And lastly, I have a very pretty Llyen Ewe, also 3 years old, she is a reliable mother producing twins and triplets so far. 

It's a bit hard to practical when selling them is such a wrench......shame I was having so much fun.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: what price?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 09:07:43 am »
Ah, what a shame. Can't you even keep the sheep? They aren't much work on  a daily basis, just in bursts.  ;D Mind you, I suppose pigs are the same, just bigger litters.

AengusOg

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 11:58:11 am »
Your ewes should be worth £100 each, if they are good, and your gimmer about the same.

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 12:00:30 pm »
If your boar is Registered take a look on www.oldspots.org, there is link on there to give you an idea of prices.

Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

ea

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 01:56:02 pm »
Thank you for the advice.  I will start advertising.  Now all I need to find is a nanny ( of the human variety).

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 05:57:35 pm »
If you're hiring a nanny can't you find one that would keep an eye on the sheep while you're at work?  Surely there must be someone out there with the willingness to at least phone for help if there's a problem even if s/he can't deal with it while childminding?

Where are you based anyway? Maybe there's a smallholder or retired farmer nearby that would love a few sheep to work with/around for free and without the outlay of buying/land etc..  Just thinking creatively if you like having them around ;)
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 10:23:52 am »
What a shame.  I cant imagine life without pigs.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS