Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Would they return home?  (Read 3866 times)

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
Would they return home?
« on: June 12, 2011, 12:19:58 pm »
Hi everyone. My little boys are kept in a very large run, where they have access to all they need. We get them out every afternoon, putting them on a long lead, so that they can explore the rest of the field. Just incase anyone is worried, they are always supervised, so that they dont get caught up in anything or eat anything they shouldnt!
Well, the other night, I went to get them into bed, so I was carrying their biscuits (pellets) hay and a huge bottle of water. I opened up the gate and to my horror, the little tykes squeezed past me into the field. I didnt panic as I knew that they were hungry and wanted their supper, so I just called them and waved their bowl at them. Luckily, they both came back and I was able to shut the gate.
My question is, if they should escape, what are the chances of them returning to their house at bedtime, like my chooks do, or would they just keep walking? On our property, they could just walk out of the front gate if they kept on going, hence the long leads when we let them out. In the next few months, they will be fully enclosed but I just need to know what my chances of getting them back would be should they escape!

Many thanks, as usual,

Mary.

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
Re: Would they return home?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 12:26:45 pm »
Depends how much greener the grass is on the other side!

Mine come when called as they know there is usually a bucket of feed too - bribery works!

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 12:30:46 pm »
Ours regularly get let out of the main field onto our lane no ties or tethers road at bottom of lane they have never ventured to the road they know which side their bread is buttered so to speak(we have had them for many years and they were initially tethered)

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 02:22:27 pm »
Goats aren't as good at "homing" the way chickens do. But- given that you give them their food, and probably treats and nibbles, I think they would come back.

Beth

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 05:05:26 pm »
and do as you did - ie keep (outwardly!) calm & call them, rattling the bucket.
don't get caught up in a "chase" it makes them worse!
Little Blue

Skirza

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 03:32:22 pm »
Our kids born this year decide when it's tea time and squeeze through the fence and bang on the kitchen door leaving their mothers frantically calling them from the field. I really believe that no matter how far they roamed, they would come home for their tea :D
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 06:55:46 pm by Skirza »

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 05:18:34 pm »
Mmmm. Given that goats like to eat all sorts, I suspect mine would just continue wandering and munching. Could be wrong of course but am going to try not to put it to the test! What they don't do is wander far away from mummy, so as long as she hasn't escaped I find the kids do return to her.

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 07:54:48 pm »
I dont think Ill risk it on purpose, but its good to know that I have a fighting chance if the little tinkers do get out! They are off to the vets for their second jabs tomorrow, so that will be fun. They are so good in the car though, so different to taking the moggies!!

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 09:54:45 pm »
My two little scamps walked through the gate to their pen into the field again this evening, just as I was about to close it! I remembered what you told me, I just put their biscuits in their food bowl and shook it. I then put their night hay in their house and before I could say "cheeky boys" they were back inside, noses in the food, goodnight Mummy! I didnt panic, just kept calm and it did the trick.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2011, 10:25:56 pm »
try using a key word for when they're getting to the right place ... then it might work as a call when you want them in.
like dog training, only slower...
cheeky arent they, your boys!!
Little Blue

princesspiggy

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2011, 12:31:16 pm »
our bagots have escaped loads, and wev even let them loose on hill to graze but they always come back to our house (rather than theirs) , theyl follow a bucket. if we are letting them out to graze, we do keep one of the kids with us as a bribe. and they dont stray too far. i dont know how far theyd stray if left permanently loose but our old goats only left the farm on one occasion. they seemed to want to stay close to our house too.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS