Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Angus Show Tomorrow  (Read 4626 times)

AengusOg

Angus Show Tomorrow
« on: June 10, 2011, 10:39:37 pm »
Anyone going?

BlueDaisy

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Grow your own - veg and chooks!
Re: Angus Show Tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 11:33:09 pm »
Well, I read their website and it makes it look like it's not worth going :-\ so, no I won't be going!

Off to Camperdown to see the dog show instead!

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 12:28:41 am »
They've no pigs so I'll not be there  :'( ;)
But if someone happened to be there, and someone was to mention to the show organisers about the Scottish Pig Keepers Association, then maybe we might all be there next year  ;)
 ;D ;D ;D
Karen  :wave:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 09:02:21 am »
Good luck to AengusOg at the show with his lovely Fell colt, Bracklinn Crosbie. Go, boy!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 10:56:52 am »
Oh good luck indeed!  Go the Fells! 

I looked the colt up and it led me to this lovely page of pics from the Bracklinn stud :
http://bracklinnfellponies.co.uk/photos.htm
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 10:33:51 pm »
Myself and Mays were both there with goats- but as I was already at the show when AengusOg posted.... couldn't arrange to see you. Hope you had a good day despite the weather.

Beth

AengusOg

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 08:33:40 am »
We did have a good day.

My colt was the only one in his class, unfortunately, but he got a good education in standing around in the rain, waiting for classes which were not being announced. He also saw plenty of new things. By the end of the morning he was desensitised to umbrellas, generators, a wheelchair and attendant paramedics, cattle, sheep, and quite a few people who came to speak to him.

After our classes, the colt retired to his trailer (kindly lent by R&D, Dalmore), and rested, while my wife and I had a root around the show with the bairns.

The rain didn't let up all day, but the show went on.

There were quite big turnouts of Clydesdale horses, Highland and Shetland ponies, and the livestock areas seemed busy.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 09:11:29 am »
If you're the only one in the class, do you win?

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011, 09:18:12 am »
That was what I was going to ask too.  Did they have a championship and if so did he enter and how did he do.  Congratulations anyway.

Mays

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2011, 07:14:39 pm »
indeed it is a fab show, especially on the Friday as I was delighted to of won a Championship with one of my horses. On Saturday The Goat Tent was fabulous & most definetly the place to be... the dryiest place on the show ground and with room inside to show the goats it really was a fab day, nice to see you Beth, soooo looking forward to RHS now ;D

AengusOg

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2011, 09:56:45 pm »
If you're the only one in the class, do you win?

The judge gave him a red rosette and made some very encouraging comments about him, which were of more value to me than the rosette.

According to a neighbour of mine, who is on the committee of the Angus Show, the judge, had she not rated my pony, could have given me a second-place rosette. I think she thought I was discouraged by the lack of competition. Actually, it doesn't really matter, as the pony got a good education, and he's only a yearling.

We should have more competition at Perth Show.  ;D
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 09:58:29 pm by AengusOg »

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2011, 10:01:36 pm »
Yes, if the judge doesn't think your animal is worthy of first prize, they can actually award 2nd or 3rd or even 4th. I have seen it done- though it is very, very rare.

Beth

AengusOg

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2011, 10:13:35 pm »
That was what I was going to ask too.  Did they have a championship and if so did he enter and how did he do.  Congratulations anyway.

I showed him in the championship but he was beaten by a very good section D Welsh cob, which had a lovely run-out, allowing him to display his action and drive, and a gleaming pony who's breed I didn't know.

Thank you. :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS