Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: yay my broody hen has hatched her turkey eggs...... now what  (Read 2470 times)

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
hi
came home today and hubby said we had a surprise..... ;D
mum (my broody hen has hatched the 2 turkey eggs that she has been patiently caring for (not due till tomorrow but i'll let her off!! ;) )
now do i leave her with them or take them away and put them under a heat lamp..... feel a bit cruelto take them from her but want them to have good chance as poss....

we have 9 eggs in the inci due tuesday

all suggestions welcome

Mx

BlueDaisy

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Grow your own - veg and chooks!
Re: yay my broody hen has hatched her turkey eggs...... now what
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 11:44:31 pm »
Why not leave them with her? :)

I would only be worried if she was a nervy mum, or the babies were much smaller than her.

My first broody ( a LF speckled sussex I hatched last year) has hatched 7 eggs under her (squashed one that hatched) and has taken another load of chicks from the incy. She has been great and now has 11 Vorwerk, 2 andalusian and 5 barbu d'uccle at coming up for 2 weeks.

I think it depends whether you trust your broody or not. ??? :-\

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 07:58:06 am »
Leave them with her. Why should you have to do all the work when you have a willing volunteer?  ;D
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Skirza

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 08:17:58 am »
We've currently got 4 hens with turkey chicks they hatched. They are being great mums so I can't see why you should need to take the chicks away from your girl  :)

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 08:39:05 am »
thanks everyone,
at the moment they are away from the rest (in the brick potting shed- all mod cons, light heating toilet and sink !!!)
is she ok staying there for a while as i don't want them getting ill fro the other birds
Mx
oh yes do i need a heat lamp nearby ???????? i know it may sound silly but want to make sure they will be ok
and will she adopt any from the inci????
Mx

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS