Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello from Fermanagh Northern Ireland  (Read 3450 times)

Mabs Wood Squiggies

• Joined Feb 2009
Hello from Fermanagh Northern Ireland
« on: February 05, 2009, 07:03:35 pm »
Hi everyone

We live out in West Fermanagh. We relocated here from Northamptonshire in 2001 to ' do the green thing' as my mother puts it. Why does everyone think you are nuts just because you want to help save the planet? We are very keen on all environmental issues, always do what we can where we can to Reduce, Reuse and Recycle. Our home is totally off grid powered by wind and solar, insulated by sheep and as environmentally friendly as we were able to renovate back in 2001. We have 32acres of broad leafed woodland that we had planted back in 1996 that we manage on a coppice system to supply fuel for our heating and cooking. Last year we began with our animals and have four pedigree Tamworth sows who free range in the woodland and five non pedigree Soay sheep who have to live in the paddock due to their fondness for Ash trees! This year we would like to get some chickens, ducks and geese.

We will be having our first litter of Tamworths at the end of March so I am currently studying all things related to piggy maternity issues and would appreciate any useful advice for first timers. Our girls live totally outside all the year round so we will be pigging in the field hut. Just hope the weather improves before our due date!

Regards Karen  :pig: :)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Hello from Fermanagh Northern Ireland
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 08:23:06 pm »
Hi, Karen

Sounds fabulous. I wish we had been "greener" when we renovated this place in 2000. Hey ho, hindsight's an exact science!

Let us know how the birth goes.

Rosemary

Mabs Wood Squiggies

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 09:09:43 pm »
Many thanks
Will report on the delivery when occurs
Just spent all afternoon browsing the piggy forum
loads of great info
thanks to everyone :) :pig:

Helen

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 05:50:59 pm »
Hello, Your set up sounds great, we would love to be off-grid, and the woodland sounds great.  I joined the same time as you.  Everyone seems friendly here.

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 08:33:01 am »
Hellooo,

Not the only nutters in Fermanagh on the forum now, must be an "English" thing ! Any locals out there ?

Gavin

Mabs Wood Squiggies

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 01:08:43 pm »
Hi Gavin

Finally got around to taking a look at the site - benefit of the snow - all looks really good and lots of useful info.

Many thanks for telling us about it.

All the best

Karen

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 11:32:53 am »
Big Hi from cavan. we have three Tamworths at the moment, Glen boar, Golden Rose and Ruby gilts. Hope you're having as much fun with them as we are (my wife and our 4 boys!).  The pig section is great for advice. Very friendly. Mark yourself on the map so we can see where you are.

Morgan  :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS