Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Heptavac lambs?  (Read 5078 times)

Advertisement

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
Heptavac lambs?
« on: June 10, 2011, 12:32:43 pm »
If I plan to kill this year's spring lambs in the autumn do i need to vaccinate?

Padge

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Facebook
Re: Heptavac lambs?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 12:55:38 pm »
we do ours :sheep:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 02:41:28 pm »
If they were born from and reared by fully vaccinated (on the same system - ie, heptavac for heptavac, covexin for covexin) ewes you could choose not to; if you were keeping ewe lambs on you would probably give them their first shot autumn-time so they would not have had a shot over the summer.  Having said which, some people vaccinate all lambs at three months and some do not vaccinate keeping ewe lambs until they are 12 months old.

If they were hand-reared or the ewes were not vaccinated then it's probably wise to vaccinate.

You could ask your vet's advice (if you have the sort of vet who tells it like it is.)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 06:29:55 pm »
I vaccinate all of mine at about 6 to 8 weeks (about now) and then for second dose 4 weeks later. I don't know at this stage which ones I plan to keep beyond Nov/Dec, so it's easier to just do them all.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 08:52:28 pm »
I do the same as Anke - my meat lambs are worth as much as breeding stock, so I'd be gutted to lose one to something preventable

shearling

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 10:00:25 pm »
We did our boys (no girls this year). We looked at this way. The cost is relatively small compared with the chances of loosing them/vet bills/preventable sleepless nights. Also we keep animals, and will eat them because we would rather they had a good life with us rather than eating packaged food that we do not know the provenience of.

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 10:41:50 pm »
If you work out the cost depending on how many lambs you have, ( small bottle of heptavac-p plus about £18.00?) then work out cost of loosing lamb, it just has to pay to vaccinate. We lost 3 good size fit to kill ram lambs one year;  p.m. results came back clostridial, very costly, so we always vaccinate now.

waterhouse

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2011, 12:22:31 am »
I think it's got to be done.

On which subject I was happily doing a ewe's foot yesterday when she kicked and the cutter thingy went straight into my other hand along with a goodly dose of sheep poo and mud.  Am diverting via minor injuries unit for another tetanus jab  tomorrow.  OH injected herself with heptavac earlier in the year when another ewe resisted treatment but I'm not following her example.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS