Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Felting  (Read 10077 times)

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
Felting
« on: June 08, 2011, 07:06:50 pm »
I have just discovered felting and made my first cobweb style scarf under supervision yesterday which I am very proud of even if it's not a masterpiece ;)  I am now keen to have a go myself at home and have bought the dyed wools I want to use, but the lady who showed me used a long piece of standard size bubble wrap and I have some here but it's a very large bubble compared to the standard - would it do or do I need to find the normal size stuff to get the right amount of friction?  Or is there anything else suitable to use?

The class was for up to 4 people and lasted 3 hours - I was the only person attending so got more attention and probably needed it ;) cos I'm not naturally gifted in handicrafts, but I felt really creative and clever last night looking at it :)

Spare sheets of standard bubblewrap in a cupboard anyone?

Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Felting
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 07:12:18 pm »
That's really pretty  :)
You can use those bamboo roller blinds - roll the felt up in it and then roll back and forth like a rolling pin  :)

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 07:46:48 pm »
That is sooo beautiful, the colours are georgeous. Well done.

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 08:00:46 pm »
Ellie, thats really lovely.  Well done you.
Where was your course?  (wish I'd known as I would have come with you)
Laura

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 10:10:39 pm »
Congratulations - this is a wonderful piece! And for a first effort as well! Is it merino? I like the locks of silver/white in it - it's beautiful!

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 10:13:33 pm »
I love it.  The colours are beautiful.  Well done
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 09:13:55 am »
Thanks for the lovely feedback, I do feel quite proud and keen to have another go, just not sure beginners luck will hold (or the felt!).

Laura it was the place in Perth and just a 3 hour intro session to make a single item by a single and simple method (hence my choice!), but they're shortly starting courses in Newburgh up near the bowling green - the other end from the existing yarn place that also do courses but haven't replied to my enquiries as yet ::) so Newburgh will be wool central shortly!  I'm planning to go to more half day things to learn other techniques and also to keep practising so will let you know next time :)

Anke yes it's merino wool as it's apparently easiest to work with for a beginner - I have hopes of using home grown shetland wool in natural colours eventually  ;D but haven't the skill or the sheep yet, might even see about using some pony moulted hair in things one day ;) but I'm sticking to basics for now til I learn :)  The silver is silk I believe, the terms are confusing me so far ::)

I've bought more wool and the silk tops for my first solo venture in orange, yellow and silver silk top..  At last a creative thing I can maybe do on those winter nights and come out in spring with bundles of things to sell!  I keep looking at other colour combinations and wanting to buy up a piece in every colour ::) but I'm trying to make one and buy materials for the next rather than have bags of stuff waiting to be done which is my normal pattern!
Ellie Douglas Therapist

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 02:56:12 pm »
I have bags of fleece in the garage to spin/felt, several started knitting projects, wool ready to be put onto my wee loom for some cushion covers etc et c.... so yes finishing one project before getting started on the next is the sensible way forward... but I am not (sensible) when it comes to wool....

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2011, 08:58:13 am »
Oops, first blip - soap!  I have forgotten, or didn't see, the soap going in the warm water!  It can't be squeezy handsoap with perfumes in presumably and I know it wasn't washing up liquid or clothes washing powder/liquid ??? and I'm pretty sure she didn't rub in a bar of soap :o  I have an ecover handwashing liquid in the cupboard and am guessing that's my best bet but before I risk wrecking my next masterpiece can someone reassure me or put me straight?  I got the 2 main layers done yesterday so just the silk to add and then I'm ready to go, but I'm out today so it might sit for a week now!

Oh and Anke, I succumbed and bought more wool yesterday - enough for the next 6 scarves I reckon ::)  Just seeing different colours and wanting them all :)
Ellie Douglas Therapist

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 08:44:37 pm »
I use ecover washing up liquid,olive soap or plumseverywhere milky baaaa just what ever I grab really. You should try nuno felting it is really good fun but remember to use cold water with that as you need a slow felting process to allow the fibres to migrate through the silk/cotton.
OH is trying to get me to sell some of my pieces but I love them all and can't part with them.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2011, 11:03:55 pm »
OH is trying to get me to sell some of my pieces but I love them all and can't part with them.

That really makes me smile because it's so true  :)  When you have put your heart into making something it is so hard to hand it over to someone else.

I love your felt pieces ellied - and they look to have been such fun to make.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2011, 08:58:53 am »
Thanks I went into the wool shop at Newburgh and asked them and she said my Ecover WUL was fine so I went ahead with the first solo venture last night and it's not bad, a bit too soapy I think and the pure silk smells a bit weird (even in the bag) so I'm not sure folk would want to wear it but it's felted and dried as one piece and the colours are good so that's the main thing ;)

The first one I think the "silk" was a substitute rather than natural fibre as it didn't have this - and maybe putting too much soap in made it worse (think wet animal smell :o ) - any ideas for deodorising?

Here it is..a bit overboard on the silk too but I did half the strand.. ::)

I do plan to sell them once I get going, and am going to learn how to do sock/slipper/boots, bags, hats, wall hangings etc too as I'm really enjoying myself - while I was in the wool shop I ended up buying another lot of wool :o so thought I'd best ask on here rather than take the scarf in for her to sniff and inspect :o

Any idea what I should be charging?
Ellie Douglas Therapist

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2011, 09:33:56 am »
Have a look on www.etsy.com or www.folksy.co.uk for ideas on prices, with anything handmade we do not make profit when we factor in our time but it is satisfying when other can enjoy your art that you loved making.

Your work is very well done and you should be very very proud of yourself, experiment and use different techniques it is such good fun I love resist felting and nuno felting the results can be amazing and the nuno is quite organic in the end result and can be surprising.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2011, 10:50:21 am »
Wow that one's eyecatching - and well made as ellisr says  :)

I'm not sure why your work has a smell - especially from the silk.  I think silk worms make a horrible smell but that shouldn't still be attached to the product you buy - but it obviously is  :D.  Maybe you could wash the whole thing in lavender Wool Wash from Lakeland - it has a lovely smell.  The wool itself may well smell of wet dog but again the Wool Wash helps.  I've had a sniff at some of my felt and it doesn't smell horrible at all  ;D

Are you coming to the Highland Show?  There is usually some felt in the handicraft competition.  A few years ago Jennifer Alexander (don't know if she's on here? :wave:) won the Championship with the most wonderful piece of felt which really inspired me.  Good luck with all your ideas - sounds excellent  :)

For pricing, don't undercharge - have confidence in your product and your confidence will add it's own value (does that make sense?)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 10:52:03 am by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2011, 12:28:08 pm »
Do you rinse in vinegar and then rinse clean as that normally kills any material smells. After you have dried it as fleecewife says give it a wash in some gentle wool wash or baby shampoo to make is smell nice dry flat and then steam it flat again.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS