Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Feeders & water troughs  (Read 18303 times)

Dundonald hens

• Joined Aug 2010
Re: Feeders & water troughs
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2011, 10:25:37 pm »
I had seen these for sale today and they look like little baths I am going to try one and see what there like when i get more piggys

http://www.moore-concrete.com/agricultural/product/4/53/

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2011, 10:55:53 pm »
We use one of the trug type thingies made from recycled tyre rubber wedged into an old tyre to give it weight. No tipping over has occured yet, unlike the galvanised trough which is upside down every time I look.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2011, 07:52:31 am »
Its very frustrating, obviously dont want pigs to be without water, but when have just refilled and they tip it again, for a wallow, when they have perfectly good wallows only a short distance away .....

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2011, 08:50:22 am »
I use cheap builder's buckets tied to the fence but am seriously considering one of the above suggestions instead.

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2011, 09:26:38 am »
Hi,

We use 2 1/2 Litre auto drinkers on a post or wall and have never had a problem with them being damaged / moved - as long as you use ridiculous size fasteners to attach them.

We found that all the "Mischief" of playing with buckets and upending bowls was happening when refilling after they had run out.

With a constant supply of water it prevents crowding around as you fill and as they are sited about 6" off the ground then the pigs don't get their noses under them to root in the ground.

And as they are "Bowl" shaped they are easy to clean out with a few scoops of your hand.

We have sold a lot of these, probably well into the 100's for lots of uses, from pigs and sheep to dogs and chickens, even sold them to parks for dog drinking areas - they are virtually indestructible.

Thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2011, 09:47:55 am »
Love the idea, but think Hilary would consider them a challenge.

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2011, 09:54:09 am »
I'd like to see Hilary get in one!
Labradors leave foot prints on your heart as well as your clothes

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2011, 11:39:57 am »

I think it must be time she was converted to sausages if she is that badly behaved  ;D
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2011, 09:26:50 am »
Hilary sausages, well I cant say I am not tempted, but I dont think it will ever happen.  The difference between a very small smallholder now, as opposed to the 60 plus we used to run a few years back.  I will hope to outlive her  :D

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2011, 10:38:16 am »

I think it must be time she was converted to sausages if she is that badly behaved  ;D

From the hilarious stories Hilarysmum posts on here I thought maybe Hilary would make sure her sausages were as badly behaved as she has always been...?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Mel

« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2011, 01:58:01 pm »
Hi,
We bought a Trough and two IBC containers  (£25.00) from our local farmer as have no running water down the field-unless we use the hose pipe!.We raised ours upon wheels and pallets given to us and bought a low pressure ballcock.£10.00 The whole thing is gravity fed and works like a dream! total cost  around £60.00! the picture shows just the two tanks,but it now has guttering with filter from the roof of the pig feed shed and we can always top it up with a hose if it becomes low.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2011, 08:32:09 pm »
If it's too heavy for them to tip-over, then they'll paddle in it & make it dirty - then I have to struggle to tip it up & clean it   ::)
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2011, 10:32:21 pm »

lol! That's pigs for you :)

« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2011, 10:50:20 pm »
In my view (and Im sure others will differ) is that a pig tips up a trough that is on the ground for the simple reason to root for worms / roots etc in the moist soil underneath.

Therefore removing the problem by not having the trough on the ground solves the problem...Simples ! Thats why I use the 2.5 or 3 litre drinking bowls mounted with ridiculous size bolts to a post or wall - and not had a problem yet.

Of course I have never had to deal with the infamous Hillary the Sow of Satan by all accounts...... :bunny:

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2011, 10:57:13 pm »

Therefore removing the problem by not having the trough on the ground solves the problem...Simples ! Thats why I use the 2.5 or 3 litre drinking bowls mounted with ridiculous size bolts to a post or wall - and not had a problem yet.

Spoilsport  ;) ;D
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS