Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep Vaccinations  (Read 16059 times)

confusedwhippet

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mid Clyth, Caithness
    • Caithness Rare Breeds
Sheep Vaccinations
« on: February 04, 2009, 09:39:48 pm »
Can someone try and help me clarify what the yearly vaccination schedule should be for sheep? I am getting so much conflicting information from experienced sheep farmers, the vet and other people who tell me they know about these things. I would just like to try and work out a yearly programme that states heptavac 6 weeks prior to lambing etc etc.
Caithness Rare Breeds - Working to preserve livestock native to the Highlands and Islands of Scotland

Crofting Supplies - For all your crofting needs
www.croftingsupplies.com

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
Re: Sheep Vaccinations
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 09:48:09 pm »
You will get lots of answers .....all different!

You must vaccinate for blue tongue that goes without saying and was as and when the vaccine was available last year.

Heptavac......well it depends on what you want to do............you can either give them a yearly booster before lambing which will give immunity to the lambs for a period .......or........do nothing!

Many organic systems do not vaccinate believing that lower stocking densities, paddock rotation and more varied herbage etc leaves the sheep less prone to clostridial disease.
I personally follow this route and have never ever lost a sheep to a clostridial.

If however a problem developed I might change to vaccinating for a bit........

I do have very wet ground and I now use footvax to help with foot problems.
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

confusedwhippet

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mid Clyth, Caithness
    • Caithness Rare Breeds
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 09:54:45 pm »
Thanks for that. We are trying to follow the organic route as much as possible. Blue tongue vaccinations are ordered and we use the verm-x wormer.

We just worry a bit when people tell us to look after them properly we must inject them with this, that and everything else.

Can I ask one more question what are your views on bringing ewes in for lambing? Ours for various reasons are not due until the end of april when the weather is much better hopefully. My plan was if the weather is bad we bring them in if not we leave them out as this is what they would be used to. The breed are boreray so they are very hardy.
Caithness Rare Breeds - Working to preserve livestock native to the Highlands and Islands of Scotland

www.croftingsupplies.com

danndans

• Joined Jan 2008
  • aberystwyth
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 10:12:19 pm »
Well............i could of put down what i reckon, but.............it would of all read wrong :P

but if you have a look at this link it might help you out a bit  ;D

http://www.provet.co.uk/health/diseases/sheepvaccines.htm

its fairly basic reading, but if you get stuck or not sure then post here and i'm sure wooly will help you out  ;D

I'm hopeless at explaining and would just confuse matters, wooly's got the nack of getting it over right  ;D
Make your words soft and sweet, as one day you may have to eat them.

confusedwhippet

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mid Clyth, Caithness
    • Caithness Rare Breeds
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 10:15:35 pm »
Thanks for that. Will make interesting reading

www.croftingsupplies.com

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 10:16:30 pm »
Leave them out, lambing out is better for the sheep provided the weather is good.....but have a small area where you can bring them in to catch them if in trouble.......not much fun trying to catch a wild ewe in the dark with a problem believe me!!!

Borerays are very hardy and provided you don't overstock you will have little trouble......but DO make sure they are well handled.
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

confusedwhippet

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mid Clyth, Caithness
    • Caithness Rare Breeds
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 11:01:11 pm »
Thanks again. They are well handled we learnt that the hard way.

www.croftingsupplies.com

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS