Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Farm will be auctioned tomorrow  (Read 8858 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Farm will be auctioned tomorrow
« on: June 08, 2011, 12:31:25 am »
It will be a sad day.  Over 50 years in the same family, and if I had my way, it still would be. I have made a last minute plea to keep it, but my brother will not listen.  I cannot go to the auction, it would be far too upsetting .....I am bad enough as it is, so going there would make things worse.

One nice family have looked round, and keep coming back, and they really want the farm.  If anyone has to have it, then I would like them to have it.

I walked round the house, and all the fields today - have so many memories over the years.  I went every weekend to see my uncle and aunties, from when I could walk.  A picnic in the woods with banana sandwiches was a favourite  weekend treat, and helping my uncle collect the eggs.  We always had a roast beef dinner, and then sandwiches for tea, with whatever was growing in the garden (all sorts of fruit) and custard. 

The apple trees in the orchard were put in 50 years ago, and last year was amazing the amount of apples there were, and its looking good again this year.  Pity I will not be there to pick them.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Farm will be auctioned tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 12:34:33 am »
I feel for you Roxy.  I hope someone nice gets it.  {{{hugs}}}   :bouquet:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Sandy

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 07:47:59 am »
Roxy, so sad, changing times but I am sure loads of farmers were not able to pass farms down in the family due to death duties, my ex husbands family sold their farm to a local land owner Lord something, and he kept the place as it were with the house going into ruins and the farm sign with the family name on, time passes and things change, I often say to myself we are only borrowing houses/land, the way to look at it is some one else will have that chance for happiness and you have your memories and will be able to start on a new path, you never know what the future has in store!!! Hugs

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 08:38:28 am »
I hope it sells well today - to nice people for loads of money. I know money's not a compensation for losing your home but it will help make a new start - and no-one can take away the good memories.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 09:33:35 am »
That's sad  :-*
I hope a nice family gets it, since it has to go  :-*

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 10:34:17 am »
Perhaps you will be able to buy somewhere which will be the beginning of a family home for your family for generations to come. 

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 11:12:18 am »
Thank you everyone for your kind words,.

The estate agents have done ther usual trick of saying there has been not a lot of interest, obviously wanting us to reduce the guide/reserve price.  I have said NO WAY.  Whether my brother will take heed I do not know.  Personally, I am not materialistic, and the money is not important to me - I would rather keep the farm, even though it is in need of a complete overhaul, and thats putting it mildly  - it needs a lot of work.

Unmodernised farms do not come on the market round here, but times are hard, the housing market is in the doldrums, no one has sold their house and mortgages are nigh on impossible to get .....so its no surprising the interest is not as it should.

But farms that are in good order, selling for a million pounds, even with 4 acres!!!  We are mid way between Sheffield and Manchester, so ideal for commuters to live in the Peak Park, and have a country lifestyle with access to the city.  And we have Man Utd footballers, Corrie and Emmerdale stars  who like it here too.

Well, we will wait and see - it only needs two bidders to make an auction, and if they both want it badly enough......

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 11:23:40 am »
It only needs one person to want to buy it Roxy, and your nice family just might be the ones.  They will try to get it as low as they can - that's only common sense.  But perhaps after a little bit of negotiation you might both get what you want.(As well as your greedy and unfeeling brother!)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 11:27:44 am »
I don't know the story behind this but with regard to the reserve price, surely one of you can't do anything without the others ok in writing if it is owned in joint names.

If the family have owned it for over 50 years - no mortgage - so that's a good start if you wanted to buy your bother out.

On the brighter side - if it sells, you get your agreed reserve (I would not have lowered it either), if it doesn't sell you still own it. Perhaps then your bother will be more open to negotiation......

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 11:28:51 am »
Such a sad day for you, I do hope it goes today to save you any more stress  :(

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2011, 03:08:25 pm »
I cannot concentrate on anything today ......in one way,  I want tonght to get her quickly, but another, to stop the clock, so it will never happen!!!  Apparantly, the other property being auctioned tonight has not generated a lot of potential bidders either.

I went down to feed my farm cats this morning, passed the farmhouse, stopped and it hit me, that tomorrow it will no longer be mine.  Farmer who rented our land, and lost his cows to TB has just rung to see how I am. He is well aware how hard it is for me.   Yes, its only a house, other houses I have walked away from, but this time its different. Even my husband wants to keep it, and he is not emotionally attached to things like me!!

There is no likelyhood of us buying another place nearby, nor indeed land, as the prices are so high, and much in demand.  My ponies are on the farm land at the moment, but will have to come off quite soon if its sold. Thats my major worry, finding grazing for them.

Oh well, another 4 hours and all the wondering will be over. At least I can walk away from my troublesome family and leave them to enjoy their much wanted blood money :(

Daisy

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Near Earlston Scottish Borders
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2011, 04:15:48 pm »
Oh Roxy I'll be thinking of you and hubby tonight, I know just how much the farm means to you.

Sending you hugs   

Hatty

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2011, 04:28:14 pm »
Oh Roxy

I feel for you families can be awful sometimes, I lost my Dad 4 years ago on the 27th of this month and haven't spoke to a lot of my family since, and probably never will. Why do people become so selfish at times of bereavement ?

And to all those who are going to tell me life is to short, I know, but some things to me are unforgivable,

Hope it all goes how you would want it to

Hatty
How long did you say it would take me to dig this 5 acres with my spade?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2011, 06:10:42 pm »
My late partner's brother hasn't spoken to me since soon after John died and the will was sorted out, as he was under the impression when I gave him John's personal items that I had retained the original photo of their Mother - I would have had no need to do that as I never knew her, and anyway John only had a photocopy from his sister.  I gave him the photocopy but he still didn't believe me,
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

robert waddell

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2011, 06:38:54 pm »
yes people can be funny      when there is a death in the family before the smell of death can get into the atmosphere the smell of money gets there first          one of my earliest memory's was just after granny died one of my uncles on leaving our house lifted the barometer of the wall saying i will have this since i have not had anything else  :o
just before my mother died my sister tried to get possession of the farm by unscrupulous methods and 2 weeks after had a letter from her solicitor say she never wanted to see me or speak to me ever again          suits me :)
at one time it was easy to get started in farming i know of one family 4 brothers  one paid out the other 3 who went on to buy farms of there own with the value of farms now it is nearly impossible to retain a farm and pay out siblings and still Cary on farming even if they agree it is only trouble for the future when family's get bigger and want to go there own way :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS