Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lamb/sheep advice  (Read 9494 times)

melholly

• Joined Oct 2010
  • East Sussex
    • My Blog
Re: Lamb/sheep advice
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2011, 02:34:39 pm »
That's great advice thank you all on the tag front! Jaykay - are you serious?? More Sheep?!! I've already been persuaded to let my 2 Dorset Mums get in lamb again, which will be my first experience lambing next spring! As you know, not doing too great with the ducks at the mo! Thanks for the advice on fields too - thankfully it's already fenced into 4 paddocks but interesting you should mention it as was going to rotate them this weekend but it suddenly dawned on me how am I going to get a flippin sheep to move?! The orphans should be fine as they walk to heel better than my lab does but my feisty mums and their extremely skittish lambs??

With the tags - I bought them from a farmer in April - neither of the 2 lambs have tags (nor do my orphans) but I have them ready to do. they are all girls and I intend keeping them longer than 12 months so I've got 2 tags, one of which is a chip thingy (thats right isnt it?) Am a bit scared (I know I know!!) doing it though to be honest! The 2 Mums had only one pink tag each??

Thanks again!
Mx
http://selfridgestoscats.blogspot.com
http://selfridgestoscats.blogspot.com  **NOW UPDATED**
twitter - @southscouse

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2011, 07:13:36 pm »
melholly, it sounds like both the mums are 2007-born or older, so only needed one tag.  (Have I got the year right?  I think double-tagging came in for 2008-born lambs, didn't it?  Then EID for 2010-born.)  Assume that they predate double-tagging anyway - check with the farmer you got them from and/or get someone who knows how to check how many 'big teeth' they've got and how old that makes them.

If you've got new tags they'll come with instructions - if you do it as shown and with conviction, it won't hurt - honest.

Your paired tags should have one yellow (the chip is in this one) and one other colour - this has no chip in it.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

PDO_Lamb

• Joined May 2011
    • Briggs' Shetland Lamb
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2011, 12:02:34 am »
melholly, when you think its time to move on to the next paddock, just leave the gate open just enough for the sheep to get through. They will be much happier if they think they have escaped to the greener grass on the other side of the fence, and no stress for you.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2011, 12:14:40 am »
melholly, when you think its time to move on to the next paddock, just leave the gate open just enough for the sheep to get through. They will be much happier if they think they have escaped

I do this!  Whenever the sheep aren't moving where I want them (and I don't have a dog to use), I run at them out of wherever it is I want them to go, then turn away and walk off.  About 7 times out of 10 they start to move where I want them - because they think it's exactly where I don't want them!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2011, 12:32:20 am »
melholly, when you think its time to move on to the next paddock, just leave the gate open just enough for the sheep to get through. They will be much happier if they think they have escaped to the greener grass on the other side of the fence, and no stress for you.

I second that  ;D  Sheep psychology  ;)  Pretty soon they will be standing at the next gate tapping their feet asking to be let through onto the next new grass - sheep know how to train their owners as well as dogs do  :sheep: :dog:  and they learn the ropes very quickly.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

melholly

• Joined Oct 2010
  • East Sussex
    • My Blog
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2011, 10:49:41 pm »
I love this, sheep whispering! Well I achieved the tagging - none screamed and had no dramas other than trying to understand the tag instructions and which way round to fit it in the clipper! Doh! Escaped with minor grazes and nicks off the barbed wire too! Created a v makeshift blue Peter style pen that enabled me to get the out into the other field post tagging. Also separated my mega fat feeding lambs from mums to give them time to recover (I read on here I should do this?) lambs seem ok with it, mums a bit concerned by it all. Feel a bit mean actually! So a good sheep day. Apart from keeping my own flock register what do I do next? Do I need a scanner/ form to send to defra? I think my mums are 2007 but can easily check!

Thanks everyone
Mx
twitter - @southscouse

melholly

• Joined Oct 2010
  • East Sussex
    • My Blog
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2011, 10:52:15 pm »
Sorry and meant say despite my worrying they were a slave to the sheep nut bowl and went in the pen angelically!!

Mx
twitter - @southscouse

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2011, 01:27:37 pm »
You don't need a scanner not unless you want to part with lots of cash, they are very expensive to buy, and only really needed if you've got lots of sheep to go to market or move around your holding. As said before if your girls are pre 2008 they don't have to be EID tagged.but remember from 2012 every sheep needs to be individually recorded on movement licence and holding books, so no more batch numbers.

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2011, 01:31:04 pm »
no reason why you can't use a dog scanner I will be trying it out very shortly will let you know if it works if so they are very cheap to pick up.
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

GeorgieB82

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Saron, Llandysul, Carms
    • Wthan Online
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2011, 04:00:49 pm »
I know farmers with 100's of sheep who don't have an EID scanner. They are only really needed if you are mving animals regularly between different holding numbers or have too many to make notes on a piece of paper whilst checking them over before logging that information in your holding register /computer based system.
Why not have a look at our smallholding - www.wthanonline.co.uk

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2011, 06:42:25 pm »
MELHOLLY all you need to do is fill in the page titled RECORD OF IDENTIFICATION

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS