Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hi there everyone  (Read 1887 times)

welshmatt88

• Joined Jun 2011
Hi there everyone
« on: June 05, 2011, 07:23:20 pm »
Hi everyone, am new here so thought id better introduce myself, although in reality im a larger scale livestock farmer,with 1300 ewes and 100 suckler cows, ive recently started trying to do a bit of "small holding" in the small paddocks that surround my house, so will be asking for your advice on Pigs and chickens which i have not a great deal of experience with , and i also hope to help out with my experience and give advice on the sheep and cattle side of things (and no doubt learn a thing or too also !)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Hi there everyone
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 08:06:21 pm »
Welcome to the forum. Smallholding is a state of mind I think - not the size of your property.  I'm in Central Scotland and only have ducks and chickens (apart from 4 brittanys and a cat) so not a smallholder in th truest sense of the word either.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 08:12:49 pm »
Hello and welcome from fife  :wave:

Crofter

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Isle of Lewis
  • We'll get there!
    • Ravenstar
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 08:10:38 am »
Hi and welcome. You'll find loads of heplful people on here!

Dave, Isle of Lewis.
Comfortable B&B on a working Croft on the Isle of Lewis. www.Ravenstar.co.uk

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 10:18:15 am »
hi welcome.  I keep pigs, chickens and ducks  ;)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 01:02:15 pm »
Hi there kindred spirit!  We farm beef and sheep in north Cumbria - not quite on your scale (we've 300 ewes & 30 suckler cows) but I describe myself as a 'closet smallholder' on the side. 

We're just trying to get our gilt in pig & have just started eating our very first home-cured gammon ham; the Jersey house cow is working out brilliantly; I've given up with ducks for the mo as we seem to have a mink problem; there's always been chickens here but I have plans for table birds (if I can sort the mink problem...) and he has plans for fantail pigeons and also geese. 

There's a tremendous resource and a lot of fun here - welcome!   :wave:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 01:24:33 pm »
OK, since you ask nice, you can join  ;D We'll not hold the 1300 sheep against you. So to speak  ::)

Welcome from sunnyish Carnoustie  :wave:

We have Ryeland sheep - if I ever get the registrations sorted out  >:(, two Shetland heifers, poultry and ponies. And a veg garden, to which I am now returning.

lill

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 07:52:17 am »
hi and welcome from central scotland

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS