Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hand Shearing Pattern  (Read 5673 times)

cairnhill

• Joined Dec 2008
  • Aberdeenshire
Hand Shearing Pattern
« on: June 04, 2011, 09:08:31 am »
Anyone know where to find instructions and illustrations of pattern to follow for hand shearing sheep. 

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Hand Shearing Pattern
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 10:28:07 am »
Hi Anna  :wave: - come down to the Central Scotland Smallholders fleece day on Saturday 11th in Fife and my OH can show you  ;D ;D ;D    You should also be able to find something on Utube.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 11:48:11 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SingingShearer

• Joined Mar 2010
  • South Yorkshire
    • Singing Shearer
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 03:41:54 pm »
Hi,

Depending on the breed there are three patterns that I know, one of which can be see here Blade shearing this is probably the easiest.

There is also the New Zealand pattern which can be found on you tube and then there is one which is a old Yorkshire pattern which is similar to the one which I use.

Thanks,
Philip :sheep:

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 11:57:30 pm »
I'm a lazy hand sheerer and lie the sheep down on its right side start at the back leg and work up to the head turn the sheep over on to its other side on to the cut fleece and work from its head to its back leg. I do this in the kneeling position steadying the sheep with my left hand and cutting with my right. Thats the way i find the best for me and my back I am over six feet tall and it a long way to bend if I sheer standing up.  Each to there own.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

SingingShearer

• Joined Mar 2010
  • South Yorkshire
    • Singing Shearer
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 09:14:59 pm »
Fleecewife,

This pattern is not hard on the back.

The stabbing action that you seem to disapprove of is known as the running blow which is used by all the best blade shearers throughout the world so disapprove all you like I wont change the way I shear.

Also, so sorry I didn't have chance to have MY hair cut, but at the time I was working solidly every day so didn't have the time as the sheep come first.

Thanks,

« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 10:45:21 am by SingingShearer »

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 11:22:45 pm »
Sorry Philip I didn't realise it was you in the Utube clip and was trying to be light hearted - obviously a mistake. I have removed the offending messages.

For the stabby action - when I learned dressmaking we learned to cut our material smoothly and I shear the same way.  Every shearer chooses the way they shear to suit their own preference - my back is older than yours so I do it my way, but there is no reason for you to be offended by that.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 11:25:13 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

PDO_Lamb

• Joined May 2011
    • Briggs' Shetland Lamb
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 06:25:00 pm »
Good youtube video. I would not want someone else to start trimming the sheep's feet whilst I was stretching my back to reach to clip round the tail.

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 10:07:50 pm »
what are the best hand shears recommended?

SingingShearer

• Joined Mar 2010
  • South Yorkshire
    • Singing Shearer
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2011, 07:55:23 am »
Hi,

I would not want someone else to start trimming the sheep's feet whilst I was stretching my back to reach to clip round the tail.

It can be a pain but isn't usually a problem.

The best blade shears IMO are Sorbys but they don't make them any more, I have a pair and they hold an edge longer than others I have.

Thanks,
Philip

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2011, 09:49:52 am »
best shears that are available - BTW I love that Youtube clip, that is shear (hehe) poetry in motion!!!!

BAAAA

SingingShearer

• Joined Mar 2010
  • South Yorkshire
    • Singing Shearer
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2011, 07:52:50 pm »
Hi,

The best for shearing are probably Burgon and Ball, any type. I use the New Zealand pattern (TUS) shears as they seem to be the best for me.
Also thanks, I am due to shear that particular tup tomorrow so will see how that goes ;D.

Thanks,

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS