Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: My goodness, I've made gammon ham!  (Read 4077 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
My goodness, I've made gammon ham!
« on: June 04, 2011, 12:54:30 am »
Well yesterday I took my first ever home-cured leg out of its briny bath.  I hadn't had any saltpetre at the time, so BH was briefed on the symptoms of botulism and what to do if I started to exhibit any of them!  48 hours on I seemed to only be as loopy as usual so he had some for his tea tonight.

It's not pink but boy is it tasty!   :yum: :yum:

I'd boiled it and had some in a sandwich (it so didn't need anything to go with it - a bit of lettuce maybe but no need for mustard, chutney, tomato, mayonnaise or anything like that.)  For supper I was going to bake some a la Delia, then I realised I wanted to taste my own cure so I just baked it as it came out of the boil pot.

Well, BH is very good at eating everything you put in front of him.  He never volunteers anything about whether it's good or not while he's eating but will usually make some comment when he's finished.  The highest compliment is, "Did you say there is some more?"

He ate his first mouthful of baked cured pork leg, put his plate down and turned to me.  I can't now remember the exact words but he ended with saying that he'd never eaten ham as good as that.  I even got a big celebratory hug and kiss when we'd finished.

And we got 8 acres of really cracking silage baled today too.  A good day!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Sandy

Re: My goodness, I've made gammon ham!
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 01:08:11 am »
My mouth is watering at the thought of proper ham...shop bought stuff is plastic!!! Ymmmm :yum:

tazbabe

• Joined Aug 2010
  • ayrshire
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 07:26:15 am »
well done you! sounds yummy!
you may light another's candle from your own without loss

Crofter

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Isle of Lewis
  • We'll get there!
    • Ravenstar
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 09:53:01 am »
I was just thinking of cooking some of our ham. Having read this I'll just have to now!  Pan on!!
Thanks Sally

Dave
Comfortable B&B on a working Croft on the Isle of Lewis. www.Ravenstar.co.uk

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 11:32:50 am »
That taste of your first ham is unbelievable.

Well done Sally.

What recipe did you use for your brine?
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 06:44:01 pm »
When you home air cure a leg or two of pork in salt for a few weeks and hang it for a month or so try soaking the ham joint over night in cold water to reduce the salt contenr , giving it a couple of changes of clean cool water .
It will still still taste slightly salty .
 With a brined gammon joint do the same  ..once you cut a slice or two off it give it a rinse off or dry off and rinse the whole joint if cooking it as a whole.

We often used to do that and added some sweet apple juice ( 1/3 pint or so to the veg & joint in the slow cooker .

Getting over that roast pork smell  .. cook it outside in a slow kettle BBQ and use a honey glaze in the salt rubbed crackling slashes .
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 06:48:54 pm by Plantoid »
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2011, 07:12:51 pm »
Oh lovely Sally.

I did one at Christmas from a recipe in this forum.

It was so satisfying to do and absolutely delicious.

I felt a real sense of achievement.

Well done
 :) :) :) :)

We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2011, 10:00:24 pm »
That taste of your first ham is unbelievable.

It absolutely is.   ;D :yum:

What recipe did you use for your brine?

Broadly Seymour's.  2lbs cure mix to one gallon water (boiled & cooled).  Cure mix 4 parts salt 1 part sugar.  I used demerara sugar.  Plus I added a pile of freshly smashed peppercorns and a bit of dried sage.  
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS