Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: ye canny beat a broody!!  (Read 2727 times)

meebh

• Joined Jun 2010
ye canny beat a broody!!
« on: June 02, 2011, 09:53:16 pm »
Hi

As the title says I am still amazed and in awe of the work a broody does.  We have had a few hatches in an incubator this year and they have been ok, mixed results.

However gave a broody 11 eggs and she is now clucking around with 10 really healthy gorgeous chicks.  Only one stopped growing so therefore didn't hatch!!  So 100% fertility and an excellent hatch rate!!

Well done Poppy - she makes a lovely Mum

:wave:

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
Re: ye canny beat a broody!!
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 10:43:17 pm »
i think one of the best things is that the hens are not effected by power cuts! and cost less on electricity bills  ::)

Glentarki

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Perth/Fife Border
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 10:56:17 pm »
Thats a brilliant result I can imagine your a very proud mum too!.........We had until 2 years ago a very old strain of Sussex bantams they were just the best broodys 3-5 times a year they went broody and sat rock solid.......So I agree ye canny beat a broody and doesn't it just save dragging the incubator and heat lamps out
Well done!
Dave

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 12:04:10 am »
Well - just to be contrary ;)

We've had 14 chicks hatched-out today out of 15 (though I'll give it another 48 hours) from the incy.  We've had 2 broodies, supposedly, sitting on eggs as well.

Checked on the broodies tonight & one of them (who was sitting on 8) is now on an empty nest  ???  There was definately 8 under her last night  ::)  Is this crows ? - they've been raiding the chuck house, but thought the broodies had found "safe" places in the byres  :o

:(

Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 12:26:42 am »
Could be a rat?

I have never used an incubator - prefer the broody!!

At the moment, two of our banties are out on loan sitting on some game eggs, we have two banties with a total of 10 chicks, the light sussex has hatched two ducklings out for a neighbour, two hens are sitting on 8 eggs each, and two more banties each have 6 eggs under them.

It-needed-a-home

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Aberdeenshire
  • Zeus (our saxony duck)
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 07:55:35 am »
fingers crossed for my 4 broodies just now this will be a bumper year for me !!!

only used the inky one this year and they have done the rest!!

:cat: :chook: :chook: :chook: :chook: :chook: :&> :&> :&> :&> :&>
Well i have cut back and i still have to many !!!! Oh well just as well i love them !!

Juno

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 08:53:55 am »
I have been amazed, I have my first ever broodie (only had chickens for 5minutes) she sits rock solid, i had to buy in fertile eggs so fingers crossed, i can't wait for this weekend 22 days is up on sunday  ;D ;D ;D i really do hope they all hatch for her, she will be very dissapointed if they don't  :'(

Micki

• Joined Jan 2008
  • North Notts
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2011, 09:24:53 pm »
I've never used an incy, i've always just let the broodies do the job. I'd probably only mess it up if i tried. I have 2 broody hens at the moment, both are on 6 eggs each, i can't wait for them to hatch  :chook: :chook: :chook:.
First time i have had to buy fertile eggs this year so i have gone for different birds to what i have  ;D.

Juno

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 12:35:11 pm »
I am eggstatic, my 1st broodie has hatched all 6 of her Ancona eggs, and she is beautifully doting on her new brood, i'm a very please chicken mummy xxx

Thanks to Peartree poultry for the eggs  ;D ;D

It-needed-a-home

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Aberdeenshire
  • Zeus (our saxony duck)
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 01:40:18 pm »
well done !!!!!! good result am just waiting 10 more days then i should be 12 on the way then its the 22nd for the other 3 broodies

bumper year for me

:cat: :chook: :chook: :chook: :chook: :chook: :&> :&> :&> :&> :&> :farmer:
Well i have cut back and i still have to many !!!! Oh well just as well i love them !!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS