Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: poorly Lamb  (Read 6864 times)

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
poorly Lamb
« on: June 02, 2011, 08:31:13 pm »
hi
we have some lambs that we are bottle feeding,
one (Larry) is looking bloated after is fed. he has now gone off his milk. thought he may have bloat so gave him some ground ginger.
Rang the vets but still waiting for them to get back to me.  :-\    was going to try veg oil if no better
tonight he took his bottle and had 200mls but his bottom teeth being pushed forward and his jaw seems tight?????? (may be imagining it now cos worrying!!!)
TFH :sheep: :sheep:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: poorly Lamb
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 08:42:32 pm »
When I was looking after Junior I was told to keep him on a small feed and more often to prevent bloat.  He was on 100 mls at a feed and fed every two hours - but he was very small. Sorry you're having problems......it's a worry.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 11:21:24 am »
Hi Manian, any news from the vet calling you?
how old is Larry?
we had one that bloated out after each feed and was a reluctant feeder, it is a worry.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 06:33:54 pm »
Larry is about 4 weeks old...... Not impressed with the vets, rang everyday and kept ringing back and they still haven't...... i do get a polite appology saying their busy.. ::)...... (note to self - change vets)
He seems to perk up after the ginger and is eating solids..... he takes about 200mls now, but still not right
Mx

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 07:07:12 pm »
I'm no lamb expert, this is only the second year of having any here and last year they were all on their mums, but with shaun we broke his feed down into small but often so when the others were on just 2 feeds, shaun was on 4 smaller ones (he was really swelling like a puffa fish)
he also had a short course of fast acting antibiotics but the odds were stacked against the poor little thing (never had colostrum it seems) and we had him PTS.  Not saying that Larry has the same sad fate but these bottle lambs often have sad and difficult starts in life  :(
You are doing your very best and its a real shame that the vet is not calling back. I'd change now, get some urgent advise from another practise to put your mind at ease if you can x
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 08:54:38 pm »
Break feeds up, little and often.
Replace teat with one he has to work harder at, so not getting milk so fast.
Hold bottle up high (if neck stretched up, closes off rumen and milk goes where it should, to the abomasum or true stomach).

Hope some of these help. They're a worry, are 'pet' lambs, and we get so attached to them.....  P :-*

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 11:30:42 pm »
well,
Larry's been seen by my farmer...... (been farming for 60 years)
he's not sure..... may be tetunus (his jaw is stiff today), he may havechest virus (coughs after feeding) but not sure and he as a scabby rash under wool now... ???
he's had some antibiotics, worming treatment and some other stuff and fingers crossed. continuing treatment and vet seeing him monday if no better

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
Re: poorly Lamb- sad news
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2011, 07:13:10 am »
sad news
Larry died this morning........
going to give the vet what for, at least he didn't seem to suffer, and received treatment..........
now got to remember what to do with him
Mx

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2011, 08:15:21 am »
Poor lamb - I'm sorry he's died and that you've had the trouble.

The other thing that can happen, with you mentioning the cough after feeding, is that they inhale some milk, which can leasd to pneumonia l :-\

Give the vet what-for definitely! Your farmer will be able to help with disposal.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2011, 08:53:23 am »
Oh dear, I am sorry  :(  That vet needs a strict talking to.

Jaykay has just reminded me of shaun coughing after/during feeds - he had pneumonia.
You did all you could for Larry and I am sure he was as comfortable as he possibly could have been with you (he was withsomeone who cared)
x

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2011, 12:59:51 pm »
Sorry MANIAN , you replied on the post about the milk powder problem that you use that make ,some of the symptoms you describe are mentioned. YOU may need to change powder quickly for any lambs still feeding

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2011, 02:00:53 pm »
Sorry to hear he died, its never a nice time when it happens, you did what your best !!
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS