Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: incubator wanted  (Read 2784 times)

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
incubator wanted
« on: June 02, 2011, 02:51:31 pm »
Hi, I was thinking about getting an incubator, is anyone thinking of selling theirs, don't want to buy a new as don't know if I'd use it that much, thank you for reading :)
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
Re: incubator wanted
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 03:18:05 pm »
If you or someone you know are a bit handy you can make a home-made one. I did have the plans but can't find them now. Must be on google though.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 06:07:30 pm »
I'll have a look and see if it's worth the hassle, thanks though! ;)
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

It-needed-a-home

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Aberdeenshire
  • Zeus (our saxony duck)
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 08:02:03 am »
they are really easy to make if you need advice please just email

:cat: :chook: :chook: :chook: :chook: :chook: :&> :&> :&> :&>
Well i have cut back and i still have to many !!!! Oh well just as well i love them !!

cairnhill

• Joined Dec 2008
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 12:21:22 pm »
I have a Brinsea mini eco advanced.  I is very easy to use and ideal for a beginner.  I have had great results with it.  Only snag is it only takes 7 hens eggs.  I now have the bigger Octagon Advanced which takes 24 eggs.  Would sell the mini for £60 + postage.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 04:55:09 pm »
Thanks, can I just have a think about it - I'm off with the kids for a few days while the OH gets through his mile long list and things are a bit hectic today so don't really have time to think about it - if I could get back to you next week if you don't mind, many thanks.

Fruit of gods

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 01:43:15 pm »
Get yourself an old fridge and put into it a light bulb connected to a thermostat and digi thermometer (about £10-15 on ebay)

And now you've got a basic incubator to devleop as much or little as you want..

P.s weve got 3 6ft x 4ft incubators with auto turning for sale for offers
they take about 8-10,000 eggs a piece

Cheers
Sy

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 02:23:13 pm »
Thanks for that fruit!  ;D We do have a small old fridge in our barn not being used, being kept for just in case... so sounds good.  I did the incubating thing once (borrowed one) for ducklings, but felt they really needed an actual mum so it put me off a bit, but as geese have so few offspring it would be nice to do it next year when they start laying again - will definately try that one.  Many thanks and to Cairnhill too. :D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS