Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Gilt bleeding with AI ?  (Read 13069 times)

HappyHippy

Gilt bleeding with AI ?
« on: June 02, 2011, 12:59:45 pm »
Hi folks,
We have had our first problem with AI and I'm hoping for some advice.
2 Berkshire gilts, both 10 months and cycling well, this season we decided to AI them.
First gilt was fine, catheter inserted fine, got the 'lock' and dosed with semen no problems.
Second gilt - well in season, stood fine, catheter inserted and tried to achieve 'lock' but we noticed blood  :-\ Withdrew the catheter (gently) and left her and now I'm unsure what to do ? The catheter had blood inside it, so I don't think it's been a tissue injury on the way in (we did use KY jelly) and there seem to be some clots in the blood or at least it looks 'gooey'. No bad smells or discolouration though. We've dosed her with pen & strep and given her vulva a bit of a clean and a spray with iodene. She's still bright, chirpy and not showing any signs of discomfort or illness.
What happened ? What would you suggest we do next ? Help !
Thanks
Karen x

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Gilt bleeding with AI ?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 01:52:15 pm »
Leave her till next season and try again?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 07:18:18 pm »
Karen I have no ideas or knowledge to help you but I do hope she is ok!  Would the semen/catheter supplier be able to advise?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 01:39:47 am »
Hi Annie & Sally  :wave:

Sally, it's Deerpark - haven't actually phoned Robert back yet, was hoping for advice on here first  :-\
I've spoken to a friend who works in a commercial piggery - apparently it's not that uncommon (here was me getting REALLY worried  ::)) they used to have the same thing happening a lot with the corkscrew catheters, so have since changed to the sponge tipped ones and are having better results/less bleeding. So I'll know what to use next time round  ;)

Karen x

Collie26

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 07:34:50 am »
I wouldnt worry, for some reason it only happens to our gilts never the sows! Well for us anyway.

She should have been fine to kept going just gentley

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 10:01:26 am »
I wouldnt worry, for some reason it only happens to our gilts never the sows! Well for us anyway.

She should have been fine to kept going just gentley
So do pigs have hymens too?  perhaps the cause of the bleeding?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

HappyHippy

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 10:52:41 am »
I did google that (it was my first thought)  ;) But couldn't find an answer  :-\
Good to know she'll be okay next time round - thought I was going to have very expensive pork  ::)
Karen  :wave:

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 12:15:41 pm »
The things you learn on here is endless  ;D :pig: :chook: :cat: :dog: :horse: :&>

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 11:33:42 pm »
I've only used the foam-tipped catheters, so I can't help much. I just think they're a bit more gentle on the pig's insides - although the corkscrew catheter will, of course, give a better lock.
All I can imagine is that the corkscrew damaged some internal tissue. If there wasn't a huge amount of blood, I would try again (if she's still standing - haven't checked the date of your post and I've been away at a show). But do it gently!
Good luck
Liz
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Stevie G

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2011, 01:00:32 pm »
I have used both and most definitely prefer the spongey headed cathetars to the screw ins as they I less likley to cause any damage.
Some times screwins can be inserted into the blander opening, which can also cause alot of bleeding, where as this is far less likel to happen with the spongey cathetars.
Having said that, yes you still get this occassionally with the sponge cathetars and is really no great cause for concern.
We just leave her for 24 hours then AI her again.
Certainly with which ever you choose to use make sure you are pushing/screwing them at a 45% angle upwards and with the screw ins, that you screw them anti-clockwise.
Keep on practicing. :wave:

HappyHippy

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2011, 03:59:29 pm »
Thanks for the replies folks.
We'll have a go next season with the sponge tipped catheters and see how she goes. I'm quite certain that we weren't in the bladder - exactly the same proceedure & angles as used on the first gilt, who didn't bleed or have any problems.
Will report back in 3 weeks  ;)

Stevie G

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2011, 01:36:58 am »
Thanks for the replies folks.
We'll have a go next season with the sponge tipped catheters and see how she goes. I'm quite certain that we weren't in the bladder - exactly the same proceedure & angles as used on the first gilt, who didn't bleed or have any problems.
Will report back in 3 weeks  ;)
Karen  :wave:

Pretty certain that you didn't push it into the bladder also(would be a lot more blood). Just letting you know what the pit falls can be with the twisters.
Sponges need to be pushed relatively hardish in when using them, but not so hard that it will hurt the sow in any way.
If in correctly, should be able to pull it without it coming out(just use two fingers to gently pull on it. If pushed in far enough it should stay in position and not fall out).
The use of KY jelly is a good idea, BUT(and there is always a but... ;D when screwing the lid on and off dirt gets trapped inside the lid which is not a good thing.)
Everything that is pushed into your gilt/sow needs to be nice and clean. So no holding to tip of the cathetar with grubby fingers or sticking it in your mouth to hold it before using it(this has all been seen believe it or not!!)
Best is to put the cathetar in first then attach the bag after.
Little words of wisdom(been there, seen it and done it a thousand times).
Things to give you food for thought, and hope you have much fruitfulness. :wave:
PS surprised Lillian hasn't stepped in here and said "natural is far better than turkey basting" snigger,snigger)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 01:38:59 am by Stevie G »

HappyHippy

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2011, 11:55:11 am »
Oh Stevie, if you're trying to start a fight you should just wear a pink shirt  ::) ;) ;D ;D ;D (I'm trying to be funny  :-\ :D snigger snigger)

I would have prefered a natural service first time round BUT with the BPA charging me for a pedigree breeding membership (even though I'm not actually, yet !) I wanted to make sure I had pedigree weaners for sale & there aren't any Berkshire boars near to me  :( Hence the AI  ;)
If it doesn't work I may reconsider, but don't really know what breed to try for the cross  ??? Don't want anything too big as the Berkshires are quite small and I had hoped that my Kune Kune boar would cover them - but he's preferring to mate only with other Kunes  ::) They ran with him for a few months prior to deciding to AI, but with no effect  :-\ Tamworth (one of Lillian's, cos she's close  ;)) would definately give a nicely shaped pig with good eating qualities (and much cuteness in colouring, which always helps to sell them  ;)) but I just don't know how the size difference would work  :-\ The other option I'm toying with is Pietrain (again, there's a breeder fairly close) but really not sure - here's hoping the AI works and I won't have to think about it too much  ;D

robert waddell

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2011, 12:24:20 pm »
i have been sitting back watching this one    obviously Stevie g is not in the loop as regards fun witty comments or making light of a situation
the turkey baster      a long time ago there was a programme called brookside   there was a lesbian that wanted to have a baby and that was the method used to fertilize hence the reference to a turkey baster (if memory serves me right there were comments in all the papers as regards this subject)
now as a male it is my preference to have natural service         with cattle AI they are trained on AI before they are let lose on any cows  yet with pigs anybody can have a go
back on subject HH the gilts are the dominant ones from your description(we had the same with pinky) a bigger boar or more assertive boar will work he wont even take her nickers off or it could be marital rape either way she will be up the stick if fertile
the size difference should be alright at birth it is after birth that they shift at some rate 3 Hampshire's have put on 10 kilos in 7 days and the hamtams doubled there birth weight in the first week    :pig: :farmer:

Stevie G

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2011, 12:50:05 pm »
Oh Stevie, if you're trying to start a fight you should just wear a pink shirt  ::) ;) ;D ;D ;D (I'm trying to be funny  :-\ :D snigger snigger)

I would have prefered a natural service first time round BUT with the BPA charging me for a pedigree breeding membership (even though I'm not actually, yet !) I wanted to make sure I had pedigree weaners for sale & there aren't any Berkshire boars near to me  :( Hence the AI  ;)
If it doesn't work I may reconsider, but don't really know what breed to try for the cross  ??? Don't want anything too big as the Berkshires are quite small and I had hoped that my Kune Kune boar would cover them - but he's preferring to mate only with other Kunes  ::) They ran with him for a few months prior to deciding to AI, but with no effect  :-\ Tamworth (one of Lillian's, cos she's close  ;)) would definately give a nicely shaped pig with good eating qualities (and much cuteness in colouring, which always helps to sell them  ;)) but I just don't know how the size difference would work  :-\ The other option I'm toying with is Pietrain (again, there's a breeder fairly close) but really not sure - here's hoping the AI works and I won't have to think about it too much  ;D

Karen  :wave:

Was just doing a little piece of leg pulling ::), nothing more nothing less and it makes absolutely no difference to me whether anyone does natural or AI it was simply just a reference to what was said in the past.
I don't watch Brookside(and never have and am not sure if its still on. I think possibly not?). As to a reference of this in the paper, would have taken alot of no notice anyway and was probably not even in the country at the time(been out since 2005).
Everyone needs to be trained at some point whether it be a cow or a pig, otherwise you will learn the hard way, which is the more expensive way.
So Good Luck to you with your AI-ing, I see no good reason why it should go well(unless of course you don't use a boar infront of your sow!) ;)
PS Was Anna Friel the Lesbian of which you speak?

« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 01:07:58 pm by Stevie G »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS