Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: grazing question-HELP!  (Read 4639 times)

zeeteecee

• Joined Jul 2010
grazing question-HELP!
« on: June 02, 2011, 12:00:27 pm »
Hi,
I have an old horse, not usually prone to many health problems but is no spring chicken, and another horse belonging to a friend.  They are neither used to too much grass but are being moved to a new field which has been rested since last winter. 
At present the grass is a good foot high, what problems will I have putting the boys out on this?
I have taped a small area off, which mostly consists of the trampled area from the tractors and 'some' longer areas.  Will this be OK?  Or, should I mow a section and then turn them out on that?

Thankyou
Z

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
Re: grazing question-HELP!
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 01:14:47 pm »
I think the best thing to do is keep a close eye on them.

Is the grass coarse, is it dry etc (as your boy is old he may not do well on tall tough grass). When you say mow, I'm guessing you mean with a tractor as the area will need to be quite large. In which case be careful of what you leave behind, you don't want them getting colic by chewing on fermenting grass.

If the grass is quite soft, they may do just fine, just keep an watchout that it isn't too rich.

Restricting the grazing (depending on how restricted) may be the way to go, but again, just keep an eye on them.

Hope this helps.

:horse:  :farmer:

zeeteecee

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 01:47:47 pm »
Helps immensely Thankyou.
There are some coarse parts but a great deal of much softer and more lush grass too.  I will allow them access to a little of the long stuff, then as this is eaten down will slowly enlarge their area.
Thank you.
Zarla

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 01:52:10 pm »
make sure there isnt any ragwort in it as well, yellow daisy shaped flowers and lobed slightly wilted looking leaves. The horses will try to avoid it but its v poisonous and best dug out with a rag fork.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 02:39:56 pm »
Colic is the big worry, especially with the oldies, when you put them on new pasture.  And they will probably have runny poos for a few days too.   Would definitely restrict the grazing if you can.  There will be old grass in the bottom, but its the new stuff thats the problem.  I always try and put my ponies on new grazing on a dry day, so they are not stuffing wet lush grass all of a sudden.

waterhouse

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 06:02:33 pm »
Our 26yo big chap doesn't have that many teeth and his digestion is not that efficient so it's mainly an issue of getting as much forage as poss inside him.  I predict runny poos but contentment

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 08:06:45 pm »
why not make hay on off the field 1st before then let him out on the short cut grass then you will have fodder all year round

zeeteecee

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 09:10:26 pm »
Thanks all-there are thistles but not a ragwort in sight!

As for the hay, its not my field so all decisions are out of my hands!  I think she plans to make hay from the rest of her 15acres but the boys need to go out now!

There will have to be quite a lot of fence moving over the next couple of weeks i think! 
Z

zeeteecee

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 10:37:16 pm »
Oooor, maybe not!
I have just found out that the field has been cut for hay today, leaving no space for the expansion of my paddock. I think the boys will have to wait till it's been baled now-!

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2011, 12:22:23 pm »
after baling... which will be in 4/5 days,  the result will be perfect for both horses.  You will still have to strip graze tho' but they will be on a better general grazing.

zeeteecee

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2011, 10:10:14 pm »
Yes I understand, and the grazing will be OK.  Hope the weather holds as I really NEED to move him there soon!
Thanks all!
Z :hshoe:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS