Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: the wait is over....  (Read 1948 times)

crosser

• Joined Apr 2010
the wait is over....
« on: June 01, 2011, 07:04:38 am »
one of my bantam eggs hatched overnight and theres now a little ball of fluff under mummy..  only 9 more to go..  the tension here has been big the last couple of days...  im so chuffed....

BlueDaisy

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Grow your own - veg and chooks!
Re: the wait is over....
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 08:45:24 am »
exciting isn't it? ;D ;D

I've got 19 x 2 day olds under mum just now ;D

crosser

• Joined Apr 2010
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 11:47:22 am »
its sure is exciting...  wow !!  19 under mum..  i thought my ten was going to be alot.. 

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 11:53:35 am »
Such a nice time and reminds you why you do it.  Just observing them learning from mum how to scratch and peck its so lovely, they just wait ever so patiently looking at mum and wondering what it's all about - if they have a lot of chicks though remember one thing - they can't count, which can become a problem if they're free ranging! ::)
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

crosser

• Joined Apr 2010
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 08:47:06 am »
feeling abit disheartened today as only 3 of the 10 have hatched and its day 22..  no signs of anything happening with the rest, they were growing great when candled... 

crosser

• Joined Apr 2010
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 08:58:25 am »

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 10:26:15 am »
You may still get some more, don't write them off yet.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 02:31:29 pm »
I have had banties hatch at 19 days, and then the other extreme, 24 days.  I always leave the eggs a few days, just in case.  If the mum is sitting tight, she may know there is still chicks to hatch.

I would have expected more than 3 to hatch - if I get two non hatching out of that amount,  I am happy enough.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS