Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Midgie repellants for my goats and pigs  (Read 4144 times)

McFrosty

• Joined Sep 2010
Midgie repellants for my goats and pigs
« on: June 01, 2011, 08:18:45 pm »
The midgies are fierce here at the moment.  My husband uses all sorts of nasty old chemicals on himself (jungle formula etc) but they all seem to burn my skin.  I used the Bogmyrtle extract repellant http://www.bogmyrtle.com/ last year to good effect on myself.
So questions....
1. Can I use bogmyrtle extract on the goats and pigs to stop them being driven daft (Esme is still being milked)
2.  I have half a field of wild bogmyrtle at the bottom of my land... could I rub this plant on the animals to any good effect??
3.  Do goats and or pigs eat bogmyrtle?? (going on the "eat marmite/garlic and the midgies won't bite" theory)??
4.  Any other product or strategy for dealing with the midgie and my lovely animals???
Thanks all

HappyHippy

Re: Midgie repellants for my goats and pigs
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 09:42:58 pm »
I'm not sure how it would work on animals  :-\ but the best thing I've found (and this is on the advice of a fisherman  ;)) is Avon's Skin So Soft body spray oil. Midgies hate it ! Tried, tested and proven on humans on the west coast of Scotland  ;) ;D
HTH
Karen  :wave:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 10:27:41 pm »
I'm not sure how it would work on animals  :-\ but the best thing I've found (and this is on the advice of a fisherman  ;)) is Avon's Skin So Soft body spray oil. Midgies hate it ! Tried, tested and proven on humans on the west coast of Scotland  ;) ;D
HTH
Karen  :wave:

Also sworn by south of the border
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 10:46:26 pm »
Avon Skin so soft was recommended to me as a midge repellant by a pharmacist too
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Hatty

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 11:06:08 pm »
Think its marketed as having insect repellent qualities in the states but EU won't let Avon do it here
How long did you say it would take me to dig this 5 acres with my spade?

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 08:03:46 am »
The oiliness in Skin So Soft is partly what put off the midges while it lasts, apparently. So probably wouldn't on hairy coats. The horse people use citronella on horses to keep off flies so I'm wondering if there are horse products that could safely be used on goats - got the same problem here, they're (the midges) just starting today and outside will now be a no-go zone until the end of September  :P

Collie26

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 08:18:11 am »
We use home made fly spray, based on horse version works a treat!! Will post recipy later when i find it, and we use it on all our animals and its fine, and us!!!

McFrosty

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 11:41:56 pm »
Fab - please do post the recipe. Do use Skin So Soft too cause it smells nice, but pigs are hairy (large blacks) and obviously so are the goats.    Horse stuff is good idea, maybe need to contact manufacturers to see what they think ? 

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 02:08:22 pm »
If it is safe for horses it should be safe for goats too, contacting the manufacturer will not get you any answers, because it will not have been tested on goats (too expensive and too small a market). You could also ask your vet - he may have had similar enquiries from dog/sheep owners. What is used on cattle?

Fortunately we do not have midges dring the day, but as we are next to the river in the evening they do come out in force... our goats are not out in the evening.

Skirza

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 03:48:03 pm »

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 07:02:46 pm »
I've been using my own animal soap on the goats and not noticed any bugs anywhere near them. It contains essential oils of lavender, citronella and tea tree. I suppose it might seem a bit weird using goats milk soap on goats but they don't seem to mind! HOpefully one day I'll get round to adding it to the website!!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2011, 07:29:03 pm »
Just ordered some of that spray - fingers crossed!

McRennet

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2011, 07:07:51 pm »
Hello folks,

I tried using the Enhanced Formula fly repellant on my horse and he had a skin reaction to it so, word of caution, only spray it on a small area first to ensure that they don't too have a reaction.

McR

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS