Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What Dimension Entrance Door ?  (Read 2081 times)

Badger

• Joined May 2010
What Dimension Entrance Door ?
« on: May 31, 2011, 09:02:08 pm »
We were looking at the door to our coop, and thinking possibly a small fox maybe able to squeeze inside. Is there a recognised size for the entrance to a coop ?. All our hens are large foul, though not particularly big. The largest lady is our Light Sussex.

Badger

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: What Dimension Entrance Door ?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 01:11:30 am »
Others may have better advice but personally I think that yes, hen coop doors are big enough to allow a fox to get in.  The house needs to be inside a fox-proof run, or have a pophole that shuts to keep the fox out.

Incidentally, years ago I had one of the German automatic closing doors; it shut at dusk and opened at a specific time (that you set.)  It worked brilliantly.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Badger

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 06:13:38 am »
Yes tey are in a run at night (the coop inside the compound ). We were worried in case a fox sneaks in early, before they are in the compound. That is why we wondered how small a door could be.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 07:16:18 am »
I think a fox could get through any hole a hen can (think small dog I guess). However, I did read a suggestion once of installing a 'chicane' just inside the pop hole that the hens can weave around, but the fox can't, since his body is longer. No idea if that would work, but it's perhaps worth some more thought?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 08:02:16 am »
Truthfully I think anything a LF hen can get through, so can a fox - they're not especially big animals on the whole. Just have to close the pop-hole at dusk and hope the foxes aren't cheeky enough to come around before  :P
I use those VSB automatic doors and they're great. Just expanded to more duck and goose houses though, so back to closing up at night  :D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS