Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: selling eggs from the gate  (Read 7523 times)

Micki

• Joined Jan 2008
  • North Notts
    • Facebook
Re: selling eggs from the gate
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2011, 09:56:20 pm »
I have just added a page to my site about storing eggs which makes very interesting readin (well I think it does anyway)  It relates to a trial carried out in America in the 1970's and they found they could store eggs for absolutely ages

Check it out Linky

There's other good stuff on there about eggs and chickens

All the best
Sue
That was really interesting to read. Thankyou for putting it on  :).

SumatraJohnny

• Joined May 2011
  • Stockbridge, Hampshire,UK
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2011, 03:15:49 pm »
Reading this thread got me wondering how much people charge for their surplus eggs.  I am sell about 5 or 6 dozen a week just now and charge £1 a half dozen.  I don't think it quite covers all the costs especially with the cost of layers pellets at the moment but thats fine as I don't keep the hens to make me rich and all I am looking for is a contribution towards the costs of my hobby. I have a neighbour who sells his eggs at £1 a dozen and the supermarkets are around £1.40 a half doz so there are extremes.  I would be really interested to hear your thoughts on this

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2011, 05:27:27 pm »
Hi Sumatrajohnny
there was a thread about this a few weeks ago and if I remember rightly it got a little heated!! 
I personally sell my eggs at £1 per 6 because, like you, we keep hens as a hobby - they are pets not our livelihood. just up the road someone charges 90p for 6.
we have regular customers and I would say that the layers pellets are only just paid for but that's fine  :)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

SumatraJohnny

• Joined May 2011
  • Stockbridge, Hampshire,UK
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2011, 09:56:16 pm »
I missed that thread so to avoid hijacking this thread and stirring up the mud on the bottom of the pond I'll see if I can find it. Thanks

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2011, 12:03:48 am »

We charge £1.40 per half dozen. We only have a few hens and use most of their eggs ourselves.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS